Glacier National Park
Glacier National Park is home to an abundance of untouched forests, mountainous meadows, rugged peaks, and striking lakes. Boasting over 700 miles of trails, the park is a haven for adventurous visitors seeking solitude and wilderness. Guests can get a glimpse of Glacier's past by exploring the old chalets, lodges, and Native American historical sites abundant throughout the park. Whether enjoying the solitude of a backcountry outing or the beauty of short day on the trails, Glacier National Park has something for everyone.
To learn more about Glacier National Park, visit www.nps.gov.
Visitor center hours of operation vary by day and season. Visit the park's website to see current hours of operation.
- Apgar Visitor Center: Open year round. Hours and days vary by season.
- Apgar Backcountry Permit Office: Open May through October. Hours vary by seaon.
- Apgar Nature Center: Open mid-June through August. 10 am to 4 pm.
- Logan Pass Visitor Center: Open from the road opening through late September. Hours vary by season.
- Many Glacier Ranger Station: Open late May through mid-September. 7 am to 5 pm.
- Park Headquarters: Open Monday through Friday year round. 8 am to 4:30 pm (closed from 12 pm to 12:30 pm for lunch).
- Polebridge Ranger Station: Open late May through mid-September. 9 am to 5 pm.
- St. Mary Visitor Center: Open late May through beginning of October. Hours vary by season.
- St. Mary Backcountry Office: Open late May through mid-September. 7 am to 4:30 pm.
- Two Medicine Ranger Station: Open late May through mid-September. 7 am to 5 pm.
Summer is the peak season in the park, but the other seasons offer similarly excellent opportunities to explore the park, although with fewer amentities. Fall is magnificent, but visitors must be more self-reliant as fewer facilities are open. Winter brings a snow-covered environment that's conducive to cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. Spring is a short and late-arriving season with spectacular opportunities for wildflower viewing.
Fees & Passes
To learn more about park fees, click here.
Camping & Lodging
Glacier National Park has thirteen drive-in campgrounds. Most campgrounds in Glacier are filled on a first come, first served with the exception of Fish Creek, St. Mary, some of Many Glacier, and half of the group sites in Apgar. The opening and closing dates of the campgrounds vary by season and weather so be sure to check the park's website for current campground status. For more information on campground amenities, current conditions, making reservations, and camping in the park, click here.
- Agpar: 194 sites.
- Avalanche: 87 sites.
- Bowman Lake: 48 sites.
- Cut Bank: 14 sites.
- Fish Creek: 178 sites.
- Kintla Lake: 13 sites.
- Logging Creek: 7 sites.
- Many Glacier: 109 sites.
- Quartz Creek: 7 sites.
- Rising Sun: 84 sites.
- Sprague Creek: 25 sites.
- St. Mary: 148 sites.
- Two Medicine: 100 sites.
Backcountry camping is permitted in Glacier with a permit which may be reserved online in advance and obtained the day before or day of a desired trip start date. Permits will not be issued after 4:30 pm at any location. For more information on backcountry camping and reserving a permit, visit the park's website.
Lodging in the park varies from rooms in historic grand hotels to cozy cabins, comfortable motels, and backcountry chalets. Reservations are strongly encouraged. Rooms book quickly, especially for the peak months of July and August.
- Apgar Village Lodge: Reservations can be made online or by calling (406) 892-2525.
- Village Inn Motel: Reservations can be made online or by calling (855) 733-4522.
- Lake McDonald Lodge: Reservations can be made online or by calling (855) 733-4522.
- Motel Lake McDonald: Reservations can be made online or by calling (406) 892-2525.
- Many Glacier Hotel: Reservations can be made online or by calling (855) 733-4522.
- Swiftcurrent Motor Inn: Reservations can be made online or by calling (855) 733-4522.
- Rising Sun Motor Inn: Reservations can be made online or by calling (855) 733-4522.
- Sperry Chalet: Reservations can be made online or by calling (888) 345-2649.
- Granite Park Chalet: Reservations can be made online or by calling (888) 345-2649.
Food & Drink
Outfitters, Tours, & Shuttles
Glacier National Park offers a variety of ranger-led programs that vary by season. All programs, unless otherwise specified, are free and open to the public. To learn more about these ranger-led programs and to see the current events calendar, click here. In addition to these free ranger-led programs, visitors can also choose from a variety of paid guided tours including boat, bus, hiking, horseback riding and rafting tours. For more information, visit the park's website.
The park's free shuttle buses typically operate from June to early September. The shuttles provide two-way service along Going-to-the-Sun Road between Apgar Visitor Center and St. Mary Visitor Center. For more information and to see the current shuttle schedule and stops, click here.
Maps & Guidebooks
To download a variety of free brochures to help plan your visit, click here.
Gems in Glacier National Park - 19
Hiking Project is built by hikers like you. Add Your Gems
Recommended Routes in Glacier National Park - 23
Hiking Project is built by hikers like you. Add Your Recommended Routes
Highline to The Loop
11.7 mi 18.8 km • 1,183' Up 360.66 m Up • 3,554' Down 1083.33 m Down
Avalanche Lake via Trail of the Cedars
6.2 mi 9.9 km • 616' Up 187.82 m Up • 616' Down 187.75 m Down
St. Mary / Virginia Falls
3.1 mi 5.0 km • 467' Up 142.38 m Up • 467' Down 142.44 m Down
17.9 mi 28.9 km • 3,320' Up 1011.94 m Up • 3,322' Down 1012.66 m Down
Glacier National Park Hiking
- 1,245 Miles 2,004 Kilometers of Trail
- 23 Recommended Routes
- 19 Gems
- 51 Easy Trails
- 81 Intermediate Trails
- 38 Difficult Trails
Areas Within Glacier National Park
Trails in Glacier National Park - 147
Hiking Project is built by hikers like you. Add Your Trails
Red Rock Point, MT
|Red Rock Point, MT||39|
#2Grinnell Glacier Overlook
#3Trail of the Cedars
Red Rock Point, MT
|Red Rock Point, MT||35|
#4Grinnell Glacier Trail
Red Rock Point, MT
|Red Rock Point, MT||19|
West Glacier, MT
|West Glacier, MT||28|
#9Siyeh Pass Trail
#10Pitamakan Pass Trail
St. Mary, MT
|St. Mary, MT||4|
Photos of Glacier National Park - 685
Hiking Project is built by hikers like you. Add Your Photos