Hiking Project Logo

Pilot Knob Hill / Oheyawahe

Easy/Intermediate

Trail

0.5 mile 0.8 kilometer point to point
Easy/Intermediate

Elevation

Ascent: 0' 0 m
Descent: -118' -36 m
High: 932' 284 m
Low: 814' 248 m

Grade

Avg Grade: 5% (3°)
Max Grade: 13% (8°)

Dogs

Unknown
Driving directions Take a virtual tour
Zoom in to see details
Map Key

Trail shared by Joshua Johnson

Nice urban trail with views of Downtown Minneapolis and Historic Fort Snelling.

Joshua Johnson

Features Birding · Views · Wildflowers

Need to Know

No onsite facilities, although there is a seasonal portable toilet.

Description

The trail starts in the parking lot at the northern terminus of Pilot Knob Road. 80% of the trail is low/minimum grade descent on gravel paths towards the fire ring containing sandstone markers commemorating the seven Dakota tribes that formerly resided in the area. The remaining 20% of the trail is steep, unpaved, and rutted, leading westward toward Sibley Memorial Highway, and connecting with the Big Rivers Regional Bike Trail.

Flora & Fauna

Deer, rabbits and other small mammals are abundant. The area is known as a fantastic place to watch migratory birds. The surrounding area is vegetated with prairie grass and wildflowers. Insects, notably bumble bees, are abundant.

Hiked this trail?

We need help with the following missing trail information:

Photos, Family Friendly, ADA Accessible, Dogs Allowed

Contacts

Land Manager: City of Mendota Heights

Rate This Trail

Rate Quality


   Clear Rating

Rate Difficulty

Share This Trail

Check In

Check-Ins

May 12, 2019
Lori Langeberg

Trail Ratings

  3.0 from 1 vote

#22163

Overall
  3.0 from 1 vote
5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
100%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%
Trail Rankings

#195

in Minnesota

#22,163

Overall
14 Views Last Month
44 Since Apr 26, 2019
Easy/Intermediate

0%
100%
0%
0%
0%
0%

0 Comments

Hiking Project is part of the REI Co-op family,
where a life outdoors is a life well lived.

Shop REI Hiking