“Visit the Ghost Town of Saints John and the nearby mines.
— Lexi Berger
River/Creek · Views · Wildlife
Saints John Road is closed to motor vehicles (except snowmobiles) November 23 through May 20 or until road is dry.
(Memorial Day Weekend , '18 - Not passable for cars)
The trail intersects potentially dangerous avalanche paths, especially above Saints John.
Need to Know
You'll commonly see local, friendly dogs off leash. They are locals of Montezuma.
Follow the Saints John Road (FDR 275) from Montezuma toward the old mining town of Saints John for approximately
0.5 miles to the intersection with the Hunkidori Mine Road (FDR 276). Bear to the left (FDR 275) and continue toward Saints John.
The Saints John Mine was the first silver strike in Colorado (1863). This glacial valley boasted a mining camp, library, mill, smelter, and sawmill, but no saloons. Saints John was named after St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist. The end of the road has spectacular views of Grays and Torreys Peaks
to the northeast.