Route Importing

Dune Elliot
Unknown Hometown

Original Post

Is there going to be a way in the future of the app to import our own routes via a gpx file to the app? Sometimes there are areas that I want to go and have to map my own trail. — Mar 12, 2017

Mikhaila Redovian
Unknown Hometown

Hello Dune, 

Thank you for reaching out! Hiking Project is a fully crowd-sourced resource, which means that we depend on enthusiastic hikers like you to help us highlight the best routes in an area. That means that you can currently submit your own routes to be added into our database! At the moment, this capability can only be accessed from our website. Due to the level of detail that we would like to see in a trail description, we think it's easier to add content from a full sized screen and keyboard. If you have a .gpx, .kml, or .kmz file of your hikes, check out some of the tips on our Mapping Page or our FAQ Page for some great tips on how to get started. 

Let me know if that helps, and we can go from there! 

Mikhaila  — Mar 13, 2017

Dune Elliot
Unknown Hometown

Thank you for your reply. I recently uploaded a hike to the website. I can see where to download the GPX file on the hike's page on the website but I can't find where to download it on the phone app. — 6 days ago

Mikhaila Redovian
Unknown Hometown

Hey Dune, 

That's another great question! currently, there isn't a way to download GPS tracks directly from the mobile app. If you'd like to download a track to use in a different app, I would recommend download the route to your computer first, and then uploading that track to your mobile device from thee. That should enable you use your preferred app while still using our data! Let me know if that seems like an acceptable work around, and we can go from there! 

Mikhaila  — 6 days ago

Dune Elliot
Unknown Hometown

Thanks. I already have the GPX file for the trail since I created it. I don't have an app to import a GPX into which is why I was hoping this might be something the Hiking Project app would be capable of doing. — 5 days ago

Post a Reply