The Trail Mix Thread

Original Post
Matthew Fedel · Mar 9, 2017 · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 202

What's your go to trail mix? Do you make your own? What goes into your homemade trail mix?

I'm a fan of "Happy Trekking" from Trader Joe's. It's a blend of almonds, cashews, pistachios, cranberries and cherries, with semi-sweet chips made with Belgian chocolate. The cranberries and cherries are great but the pistachios really make it.

My other favorite off the shelf trail mix is "Monster Trail Mix" by Archer Farms. We usually get it at Target. 

Mikhaila Redovian · Mar 10, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 7,688

I will admit to having a bit of a trail mix problem. Unless I have a big objective, I can't keep it in the house! I am also a fan of TJ's "Happy Trekking" mix, but if I make my own, I usually include a combo of salted nuts, raisins/craisins, and peanut or peanut butter M&M's, as well as pretzels. Cashews too, are a major key! 

Matthew Fedel · Mar 11, 2017 · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 202
Mikhaila Redovian wrote:

I will admit to having a bit of a trail mix problem. Unless I have a big objective, I can't keep it in the house!

I think many hikers have the same issue! I always seem to have a bag in my desk at the office.

I think cashews are a key base to many mixes. I'm thinking of trying some with crispy M&Ms or toasted almonds. Chocolate can be tricky as it can melt in the bag.

Hilary Barrett · 4 days ago · NYC • East Harlem · Joined 14 hours ago · Points: 0

I am definitely a fan of a mix of raw/unsalted pepitas, walnuts, dried unsweetened cranberries and yogurt raisins. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply