How do you check in and add To-Dos on the app?

Original Post
Juno Ogle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 79

There is a "check-ins" on the app menu, but all I see when I click on that is a white window that says "Pin the Map with a Check-In" and "Keep track of where your boots have taken you. Have fun and be safe!" At the bottom are commands to Filter Areas and Edit List, but they are graded out. I cannot find a way to actually check in on the app, and there is no help menu.

It's the same with the To-Dos. There doesn't seem to be a way to add to a list.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,153

Hey Juno, 

Thanks for reaching out with a great question! You're right about the To-Do and Check-in tabs; you can't add trails to them from those pages. Instead, I would recommend navigating to a particular trail. Once you've navigated to the trail page in the app, you'll notice a series of four "buttons," which include Check In, and Add To-do, Rate it and Share. By using these tools, you should be able to populate both your Check-In list, and your To-do list. Let me know that helps, and we can go from there! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Brian Stack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I had the same question. But, I'm planning a hike on a trail that has not been mapped. I plan to track and upload when I'm done. What I'd like to be able to do is pin my destination so I can keep an eye on my progress as I go. I'd like to recommend making the Check-ins available either on the main map or at least once a route has started tracking. 

Hey Brian, 

Thanks for reaching out with some great feedback. I think that this scenario is a little tricky, especially since you mention that you're planning on completing a route that we don't have mapped on the site. Our Check-In function creates a record of the places that you've been, but I'm not sure what checking into the main map would look like. Do you mean adding the ability to Check In to a general area instead of the trail that you're tracking? Let me know, and we can go from there! 

Thanks again, 

Mikhaila 

hilda broome · · Akron, OH · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I'm trying to learn how to use this ap.  I have the trail on my screen but don't have a "check in  button" as mentioned above.  I have a push pin, an elevation graph button, arial view, and that's it.  I'd like to create a to-do list and also keep track of where I've been.  Help!

Hi Hilda, 

Thank you for reaching out with two great questions! From the information that you were able to give, it sounds like the trail name is displayed on the bottom of your screen. If you put your finger on that trail name, and drag your finger to the top of the screen, more information should become available, including a description, as well as the buttons that were mentioned. It should look something like this: 

From there, you can see the Check In, Add To-Do, Rate it and Share buttons. Let me know if that helps, and we can go from there! 

Mikhaila 

hilda broome · · Akron, OH · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks that was just what I needed to do

Steve Hao · · Granite bay · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I have the similar question. I was able to get to the screen you just posted on your last response. When I click on "Check In", I got to the next screen which says "Check In, the next line shows the date, then Miles ... Hour:min" all greyed out. Then, I touched "Save Check In" Nothing happened. There is must be something I am missing. Please advise. Thanks.

Hey Steve, 

Thanks for reaching out with a great question! Out of curiosity, were you logged in to your Hiking Project account when you tried to check in? I am thinking that Checking In is a feature that requires a log in, as the data is then synced with our website. 

Let me know, and we can continue to troubleshoot from there! 

Mikhaila 

Steve Hao · · Granite bay · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Mikhaila,

Thanks for your response.  But I was logged in while trying.

Hey Steve, 

That is certainly troubling! Would you mind sending me an email at mikhaila@adventureprojects.net? I want to ask you more specific questions about your process and your mobile device, and I don't want you to have to give any information publicly. Hopefully from there we can get things figured out! 

Best regards,

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply