Hiking with a dog?

Original Post
xiaoyan Li · Sep 23, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

i am thinking about getting a dog to start coming along. Please feel free to share any comments or guidance, or just discuss hiking with dogs.

Mikhaila Redovian · Sep 28, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 7,786

Hey Xiaoyan, 

That's a great question! I can't say that I'm truly an expert, as I've had to "borrow" a dog to hike with thus far. However, I've found the experience to be enjoyable! Especially if you're prepared and know the dog's limits, I think it's a really fun and rewarding way to go! It helps me to slow down and enjoy the trail, usually while my fluffy partner literally stops to smell the roses. So long as your potential hiking partner will enjoy a high quality of life when you're not on the trail, I'd say go for it! 

Ryan Over · Sep 30, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Hello,  

First post here.  Daisy and I have hiked 1100 miles on the Maine to mass. And the jmt. And roughly a month in Washington (250+miles)  She is an amstaff.  Roughly 62 lbs trail weight and 70 lbs apartment living. She has a medium sized rough wear pack in which she carries no more then 20% of her body weight.  I have a big tin of bag balm for her paws.  No sissy ass booties.  Her trail name is dishwasher.  Ergo i do not carry a bowl for her since we share.feel free to ask anymore questions.

Mikhaila Redovian · Sep 30, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 7,786

Ryan, 

Wow! Daisy sounds like an awesome trail partner! Did you start her out hitting the trail young? What was the stamina building process like? Also, when you're at home, do you think she misses being on the open trail? I'm a huge dog lover and love hearing stories about adventures with four-legged friends! 

Alejandro Escobar · Oct 2, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
Mikhaila Redovian wrote:

Ryan, 

Wow! Daisy sounds like an awesome trail partner! Did you start her out hitting the trail young? What was the stamina building process like? Also, when you're at home, do you think she misses being on the open trail? I'm a huge dog lover and love hearing stories about adventures with four-legged friends! 

It is a great idea to take your dog hiking. VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW THE DOGS LIMITOS. 

Jen Diorio · Oct 3, 2016 · Staten Island, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Hiking with a dog is the only way to hike! My chocolate lab loves coming on day hikes with me. When i first got him (adopted him at 2 years old) i took him to obedience training classes, and then a summer of agility class (off leash obstacle course). It really created a strong bond between us and i am very comfortable when i take him out hiking or camping with me.

Thom Herold · Nov 7, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

I would be an over-weight, couch potato if it wasn't for my dogs. Joey past away 12-7-2015. I still have my 11 year old Irish Setter and, since have gotten, a 10 month Irish Setter to keep me active. I would not want it any other way.

I estimate that Joey (Golden Retriever) and I have hiked/walked well over 12,000 miles in his life-time (that's like 5 x across the U. S.). I stay away from areas with poisonous snakes, heavy tic infestations and very rapid rivers. I always bring water (a collapsible bowl) and healthy food for the both of us. Do not feed them too much before or during the hike (Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus Syndrome). On long hikes I bring a tent in case we get stuck in a downpour. I try to hike early in the day (cooler). I also stay in the woods a lot. I keep him away from the jellyfish on the beach. National Forrest do not have leash laws. National Parks don't allow dogs. I bring electrical tape and duct tape in case of emergencies (mostly taping cut paws). Also a pair of scissors for things that get stuck in their hair. 

When I camp, I just make sure they wont get cold at night

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply