Uploading/Sharing GPS Recorded Trail from iPhone

Original Post
Hossein Abbaszadegan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 42

Hello,

I would ideally have posted this in an FAQ topic, but I didn't see one on the forum.

I took a GPS recording of a trail I completed yesterday (fossil springs trail in AZ) but I cannot figure out how to upload/share the recording to hiking project. Any help would be appreciated.

-Hossein

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 7,986

Hello Hossein, 

Thanks for reaching out with a great question! I was wondering if you were using the Hiking Project GPS recording feature, or were you using a different tool, such as another mapping app, or a Garmin watch? Let me know, and we can go from there! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Josh Moore · · Mc Calla, AL · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 259

I am having the same issue. I used the GPS record feature but dont see a way to add my new trail through the site. 

Hey Josh, 

Thank you for reaching out with a great question! The GPS recording feature and the photo upload tool in the app operate in a similar way. Both of these features record your information but keep them privately in your account. In order to share the track that you've recorded, I recommend logging in to your Hiking Project account from a computer, and navigating to your profile. From your profile, you should be able to see "Mobile App GPS Tracks" and "Mobile App Photos". If you then click on the track located under "Mobile App GPS Tracks," you should be taken to a screen showing your track. This screen will also give you the option to delete the track, or "Create an official Trail on Hiking Project" from the track. By choosing to create an official trail, the route that you recorded will be made public, and you should be able to share the route just as you would with any other trail. 

I know that was a lot of information at once, so let me know if that all makes sense! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Kathleen Walker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 2,159

Mikhaila - I have been unable to upload gps tracks since Saturday.  I get:

The hikingproject.com page isn’t working

www.hikingproject.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

Please let me know when it is fixed.  Thanks!

Hello Kathleen, 

Thank you so much for reaching out about the problem! Were you using your computer or your mobile device? I think that both the online and mobile sites should be up and running again, but we did have a few hiccoughs with code updating last week. The engineering team really put their noses to the grindstone, and hopefully everything is functional again. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you continue to have problems with the site, or if there's anything else that I can do! 

Best, 

Mikhaila 

Jai Irvin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 169

Hi Mikhaila - 

I went to the website and none of my GPS tracks are showing up as they once did. They are recorded in the app but do not show up on the site. I think there is a sync issue. To test this, I changed my profile picture here on the site but it has not changed on the app.

I posted on this thread because using the website is the only way to upload a recorder trail.

Thanks!!

Kerry Nikolaisen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 75

Recorded a GPS track on the Iphone app this morning.  I can see the track on the Iphone but the desktop app is not recognizing it at all.

Ryan Spr · · Florida · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 706

Hi Mikhaila,

I am having the same "sync" issue as others. I recorded two GPS tracks this weekend using the Hiking Project app on my iPhone. However, on my desktop website profile, I see "None yet" under Recorded GPS Tracks. It worked on my previous track, and I was able to upload a trail and add it, but there does now seem to be an issue between the iOS app and the desktop website.

Good morning Jai, Kerry, and Ryan, 

Thank you so much for reaching out about the syncing problem. I apologize for the inconvenience. I was able to replicate the issue, and it seems as though there is a bug that is causing the problem. I will be reaching out to our engineering departments (desktop and mobile) to find the source of the problem, and to fix the issue. I appreciate your help, and your patience as we get things resolved! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Hello All, 

Thank you again for your patience with us as we got the problem solved. After speaking with the engineering department, they were able to hone in on the problem, and a fix was recently pushed live. Your app data and your online profile should now be syncing properly. If you continue to have any problems, please don't hesitate to reach out! 

Thank you again for your close attention! 

Mikhaila 

Mikhaila Redovian wrote:

Hey Josh, 

Thank you for reaching out with a great question! The GPS recording feature and the photo upload tool in the app operate in a similar way. Both of these features record your information but keep them privately in your account. In order to share the track that you've recorded, I recommend logging in to your Hiking Project account from a computer, and navigating to your profile. From your profile, you should be able to see "Mobile App GPS Tracks" and "Mobile App Photos". If you then click on the track located under "Mobile App GPS Tracks," you should be taken to a screen showing your track. This screen will also give you the option to delete the track, or "Create an official Trail on Hiking Project" from the track. By choosing to create an official trail, the route that you recorded will be made public, and you should be able to share the route just as you would with any other trail. 

I know that was a lot of information at once, so let me know if that all makes sense! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Hi, I am having an issue creating the trail through the website. I am able to see the list of all my hikes and each hike is clickable and loads the accurate GPS route. The error happens when I go to upload the map and click on the "Share on Hiking Project" button. Every route that I attempt to  upload results  in an error  page stating 

Looks like you're off route!

The page you're looking for does not exist.

I get the same error message if I first download the route to my computer and attempt to upload the file manually as well. 

Hey Josh, 

Oh no! Thank you so much for reaching out about the problem! Would you mind letting me know which of your hikes you've been having problems with? I was able to replicate the problem with my own test track, but any additional information would be much appreciated! 

Thanks again for reaching out, I appreciate your help! 

Mikhaila 

Mikhaila,

I am having the same issue... Attempting to share a trail using the 'Share on Hiking Project' link but I get a 404 error. Looks like the link may be broken. Typically works just fine as I track the trails using the Hiking Project app on my iPhone.

~Ryan

Mikhaila Redovian wrote:

Hey Josh, 

Oh no! Thank you so much for reaching out about the problem! Would you mind letting me know which of your hikes you've been having problems with? I was able to replicate the problem with my own test track, but any additional information would be much appreciated! 

Thanks again for reaching out, I appreciate your help! 

Mikhaila 

Hi Mikhaila, as of this morning I am having that same issue with all of my hikes. 

Hey Josh and Ryan, 

Thank you so much for your patience, I've gotten this problem sent to our engineers, and they should have a solution soon. I'm thinking that with the code updating that we've been doing, the link to the "Share on Hiking Project" button might be broken. I will let you know as soon as I hear anything about this problem! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Hello again Josh and Ryan, 

I have some good news! It sounds like our engineering team fixed the problem earlier today, and you should now be able to create trails from your recorded GPS tracks! Please let me know if you're still experiencing difficulties, and we can take a second look at this one. I appreciate your patience as we got the problem fixed! 

Best, 

Mikhaila 

Things looks back to normal, Mikhaila. Thank you!

Morning all,

Looks like the site is again having an issue when sharing a trail. When selecting a hike to Share on Hiking Project, I'm directed to the error page:

"We've hit some rough trail. Our servers are having a temporary problem."

I've had this issue for about a week now... Anyone else having issues?

Hey Ryan, 

Oh no! Can you elaborate just a bit more about the problem? Does the error page occur whenever you're sharing a recorded route, or any type of trail/hike? Let me know, and I can get this one moved along to the engineering team! 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Mikhaila 

Hey Mikhaila,

When I click on my recorded GPS track(s) and click the 'Share on Hiking Project' link, I'm redirected to https://www.hikingproject.com/edit/modify-line and the error I mentioned above. Looks like I can upload a trail using a GPX, KMZ or KML file, but sharing a prerecorded trail gives me an error.

Thanks for the swift reply!

~Ryan

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply