Symbol legend?

Original Post
Caitlin Boylan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

This could very well be a question that's already been covered (though a quick search uncovered no info), or have answers available elsewhere on the site. But I am at a complete loss when it comes to the symbols on the maps! What do the various symbols indicate? Things like the green circle, blue square, and the various diamonds.

Sorry if this is a remedial question! Absolutely love this site and app!!

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,153

Hey Caitlin, 

So glad that you reached out! It's not a remedial question at all. The symbols that you specifically mentioned have to do with difficulty ratings. We've taken a page from the books of ski areas and bike parks around the country and have adopted their system of denoting how hard a trail might be by using symbols. Green circles are easiest, blue squares are intermediate, black diamonds are difficult, and double black diamonds are very difficult. We've also created combinations for the trails that fall between two difficulty levels. Using the symbols allows us to visually display the difficulty of a trail, which comes in handy if you're looking at a web or network of trails and want to decide which route might be best for your ability. With a symbol, you don't have to comb through the description to find out how difficult it is, you can just look at a map instead! 

Let me know if you have any other questions about symbols, or if there's anything else that I can do for you! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Roger Ralstin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

A follow-up:

some of the trails are Yellow.

Are these black diamond trails?

The site is fantastic!

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,153

Hey Roger, 

Thank you for reaching out! The trails that are highlighted in yellow are part of Featured Hikes. Featured hikes are the most popular, or highest rated routes in an area. Sometimes they use combinations of trail, sometimes one trail out and back, and other times Featured Hikes connect trails via roads or pathways. If you have limited time in a particular area, or want to head out on the best combination of trails, the routes highlighted in yellow are your best bet! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Beth Saintseester · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I have a related question.  When I am browsing on the map in my app (android), I see black circles with numbers in them. As you zoom in, they split out into other circles but the numbers don't seem to add up. I also cannot seem to figure out what the numbers correlate too. Is it miles of trail?

Eric LaRoche · · Keene, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 371

It's the number of trails in an area.  when you zoom in you may lose some of the amount because they're off the edge of the screen. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply