Hiking Project Logo

How do you keep the electricity of your electronic equipments like phone torch when you go on a long distance hiking?

Original Post
Joey Gao · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Hello ,everyone,

So glad to join this family.

How do you keep the electricity of your electronic equipments like phone torch when you go on a long distance hiking?

It is terrible if power is cut off....

Grizzly Jane · · Stewartville, MN · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

Hi Joey,

Forgive me, what is "phone torch" ?

How long of a distance are you hiking?

Kim

Crazy Frog · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Phone Torch is a flash light app.
I have an extended battery and carry a power bank. More than a couple days charge even using gps.
And my particular power bank has a built in light.

Grizzly Jane · · Stewartville, MN · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

Yes, I have a flashlight app on my phone too. I use it as my last resort.
I carry 3 flashlights. One on my person, a headlamp, and I have a spare on my combination Brunton lighter.
To charge my phone or other devices I carry the Brunton Revolt 9000 battery pack.
Use your phone for emergencies only if you can.

Happy Trekking!

Tina Sh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 6

Hello, last September I did a 5 day backpacking trip (Rae Lakes Loop) and brought an Anker 20000 mAh Powerbank with me. I charged my GPS (Montana 650t), my two camera batteries (Sony RX100 IV and GoPro Hero 4) and I still had half the power left by the end of the trip. BUT I also slept with my batteries, which I think helped. 

Namekian Piccolo · · United Kingdom · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hello Joey,

If the weather condition is great and if you are planning for a long day of hiking. Battery backup is good to go and like power bank but having this is not good enough for those who plan to stay longer on the way. I would suggest bringing a handy solar panel for your phone charging. Look what I found here and I think this will help you in terms of battery backup for a week. 

Mark Bridges · · Michigan · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Anker PowerCore power bank. You've likely heard of Anker, and this is one of the company's best portable chargers.

Matthew Storm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 512

I have a rather cheap USB powerbank that runs on 18650 batteries. I prefer this sort of setup to a powerbank that has fixed, internal batteries since I can simply replace the battery after it is drained (rather than having to carry a dead brick). Also, bare 18650s are VERY light, have about the same energy as FOUR ordinary AA batteries, and can be used in flashlights/headlamps. But for anything more than a dayhike (or maybe a two day backpacking trip), I would consider a solar charger.

amelia harry · · Oakland gardens · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Crazy Frog wrote: Phone Torch is a flash light app.
I have an extended battery and carry a power bank. More than a couple days charge even using gps.
And my particular power bank has a built in light.
Great reply
Mark Baumgartner · · Olympia, WA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Another vote for bringing a power bank and using a separate flashlight.  Using the one on the phone may not be the most efficient use, especially if you use it for nav and photos.

Keep in mind also that solar panels can be used on the move if you tie them to your pack.  Costco sometimes has them.  The trade-off is weight vs use but if a single power bank isn't enough it's a good, albiet slow, way to recharge.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "How do you keep the electricity of your electro…"