Hiking Project Logo

Hiking in Washington and Oregon

Original Post
Cole Fournier · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 0

Hey!
I really want to see the Pacific Northwest and I'm most interested in Washington and Oregon. I want to plan a trip to do some hiking there, but I don't know where I'm supposed to go. I'm from New Hampshire so I don't have many options here, but it seems like there are mountains everywhere in Washington and Oregon. How am I supposed to pick a general range or couple mountains to plan my trip around? Any suggestions for where I could go for a weekend or week-long trip?

Bruce Hope · · Southwest Oregon · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 12,539

This is a huge question as there are literally hundreds of hiking/backpacking options in OR and WA. I'd start with deciding what appeals to you in a hike - views, lakes, old-growth forest, hard, easy, long, short, etc. Then I'd go through the OR and WA trails listed on the Hiking Project to ID some ones that seem to fit your interests. You might also look at the Oregon Hikers (mostly around Portland, OR) and the NWHikers Forum (more in WA) websites for ideas. Then consider when you can visit, since not all hikes are accessible year-round. And you'll need a car to reach most of them, as few are served well by public transportation.  Once you get things narrowed down some, it'll be easier to offer specific suggestions. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Stuff
Post a Reply to "Hiking in Washington and Oregon"