Hiking Project Logo

AZT Thru Hike Partner Wanted March 2020

Original Post
Andrew androoorobertz · · Edinburgh · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0

Hi
Im from the UK/Scotland , Im 66 and would like a partner for at least the first 100 miles of the AZT starting early March 2020.
I've thru hiked the JMT,  PCT (2016) and the Te Araroa trail (2017/8).  
Andrew

Sarah Sundstrom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0

Hi I might b interested . I hiked it in 09 . Great hike ! There is someone else on this site looking for a partner .

Hi
Thanks for the interest.
I'm really keen on the AZT. I really enjoyed Southern California on the PCT. Apart from the unbeatable beauty of the Sierras, South California was my favourite part. Here in Scotland, its getting very cold and wet and the daylight hours are shrinking . Looking forward to sunny Arizona! Got the gear, just down to tickets and insurance now and that will get done soon.

just Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Tell me more. Planned start/end dates? Basic itinerary? You doing the whole trail or segment? Plan for transportation to and from airport? Etc.
Inquiring minds want to know

Hi Mike
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at insurance and flights at the moment. Its more difficult geting insurance if you are over 65 but have spotted some possibilities with trekking to 10000ft and rafting included.  I may go through and agent to get a flight as I need a flexible return. As usual, I'll need to have a return flight pre-booked, ie for immigration regulations - they want to see Im planning to return - haha.
 Ive got a B2 visa for the USA so thats OK; got that for the PCT in 2016.  I'm thinking of flying  to Tucson on 1st March and staying a few days as I'll need to do shopping for stove gas, dried food etc. I see that it may not be necessary to do any posting of food ahead? I'm experienced in carrying/choosing lightweight food supplies and can carry 10 days supply without any problem.  I think this amount of food may be sufficient to bridge me between AZT resupply stops?  I intend to arranging a commercial shuttle to the start of the trail from Tucson. I believe there are companies that do this. Ive allocated 2 months+ to the trek and intend to do the whole trail. My plan would be to complete the trail in May and then get to Las Vegas to fly home. Not sure how I get to Las Vegas at the end but I guess I could hitch or get a bus from somewhere. I have a sat communicator, Garmin gps, phone with Guthooks  etc.  Another Idea is to try and get a rafting trip down the canyon on spec at the end of the AZT. I believe these rafting companies are near the end of the traill and I see they offer transport to LV included at the end?
What do you think? Any ideas, advice etc welcomed. I'd really like to have some company, particularly at the beginning of the trip. However I guess the trail will supply companions, if the PCT and the Te Araroa are anything to go by. I met some great people on those trails and keep in touch with them.

Semi Feral · · Tucson · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 247

Hi Andrew,

If you need any help getting from Tucson to the southern terminus please don't hesitate to reach out to me or any of the trail angels listed on the Arizona Trail Association's web page. I'm listed there for assistance in the Tucson area but I can also help with shuttle services to Passage 1 with advanced notice.

Thanks very much. Will be in touch. Getting flights organised soon.
Andrew

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Partners
Post a Reply to "AZT Thru Hike Partner Wanted March 2020"