Hiking Project Logo

Best place to practice snow hiking with Crampoons and Ice Axes

Original Post
Kalyan Nidumolu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0

Hi,

I am planning to hike Mt. Shasta in May. I understand I need to use Crampoons and Ice axes and need to hike in snow. Wondering if there are good trails where I can practice hiking using Crampoons and ice axes in winter near Bay area ( San Jose ). Any suggestions are appreciated..

Thanks,
Kalyan

Joshua Tijerina · · San Antonio, TX · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I can't answer your questions fully, but I do know from experience on Mt. Hood that it will be VERY BENEFICIAL if you practice putting your crampons on till you're an expert. Buying and using them for the first time they are not easy. Imagine you are tired, in full gear, and you need to stop bc the terrain now requires crampons. You have gloves on and you may need to use one hand bc the other is being used to stabilize yourself. There are a few good YouTube videos out there to watch. Do it at home until you can do it with your eyes closed. Once you have that down that is half the battle. Of course also be very aware of how to self-arrest. Again, google and YouTube it at the very least. But, given it's your first time being in a place where that gear is required I'd hope you will be going with someone else. I didn't summit Mt. Hood bc it was alone and beyond my ability after Crater Rock. Good luck and have fun!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Stuff
Post a Reply to "Best place to practice snow hiking with Crampoo…"