Hiking Project Logo

Choosing hiking shoes- uneven feet/gait?

Original Post
Ellen Harris · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 4 days ago · Points: 0

I’ve noticed in my longer hikes that I tend to get blisters in the same places on my left foot, but never my right foot (first on the side of the ball of my foot below the big toe, then the inside of my heel, then sometimes between my smaller toes as I compensate). My suspicion is that my feet are either slightly different sizes, or my gait is slightly off (or both). Does anyone have a suggestion on figuring out what the problem is and then what gear would help fix it? I’m in the market for new shoes and wouldn’t mind buying inserts for them if I just knew which ones would help. 

Semi Feral · · Tucson · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 172

Hi Ellen,

I am extremely blister prone but have figured out a system that is working for me. Shoe fit is important (of course) but the right socks have made the most impact on blister prevention. I only use merino wool blend socks paired with the merino blend injingi liner socks. I am very partial to Smart-wool and Darn Tough brand socks. Darn Tough sock have an amazing warranty too. The liner socks looked very uncomfortable to wear but after a few minutes I didn't notice them at all. They don't overheat my feet either. I hike year round in Southern Arizona. Even in the high elevations it can get quite warm and I swear my feet stay cooler with the double sock set up.

P.S. I should also mention that I carry Lueco tape and use to cover the hot spot areas before they formed a blister. That stuff is a total life saver and is 100x's better than mole's skin.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training & Fitness
Post a Reply to "Choosing hiking shoes- uneven feet/gait?"