Hiking Project Logo

Where to go in late October?

Original Post
Robert Pope · · West Lafayette, IN · Joined 20 days ago · Points: 0

Hi there, first post!

The Mrs. And I have the week of October 21st to 25th off and are trying to plan a quick trip west (anywhere west of the Mississippi, preferably somewhere with mountains).  

My logic is it's too late in the season for summiting mountains (at our experience level anyway) but hopefully not too late to see some fall colors and hot springs.

We don't want to lug all the gear this time so we're planning a travel-light getaway, staying in an airbnb or something and doing mostly day hikes.  

At the moment I've identified deliciously cheap flights to Seattle, we've never been to PNW so that sounds fun

For those in the know, what is worth seeing in the PNW at this time of year, that doesn't require ice axes/crampons?  Olympia? Rainer?

tl;dr If you could go anywhere US/CAN the week of 10/21 for day hiking, where would you go?

TIA!

Spencer Parkin · · Bountiful · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 40

Speaking for the Northern Utah area, the tri-canyon area has a lot to offer.  Millcreek, especially, showcases the Fall colors nicely.  A hike to Lake Blanche Fork in Big Cottonwood Canyon will take you to 3 lakes mirroring Sundial Peak.  I like the aspen trees in fall with their yellow leaves.

Mark Nelms · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

I would suggest a trip to Guadalupe National Park and Carlsbad National Park.  The hiking in Guadalupe is fantastic and it's still fairly warm most days.  You can get some fantastic views from the top of the peaks and Guadalupe Peak and Hunter Peak (my favorite) can each be done in a day.  Another nice day hike is McKittrick Canyon where that time of they year you can get into foliage coloring up nicely.  Carlsbad is only about 50 miles north of there and the trip in the cavern is great. You can stay in Carlsbad and make the drive to each fairly easily.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Where to go in late October?"