Hiking Project Logo

Any CPAP users also backpackers?

Original Post
Ryan McAvoy · · Greenville, NC · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

So I use a CPAP to sleep better at night, yeah I'm a big guy.  My CPAP really doesn't weigh much but a lot of the portable batteries I've seen weight a ton.  Right now I'm looking at just dealing with not using my CPAP for a day or two while on the trail.  I'll live.  And as I want to backpack more, I know if I loose some weight, my need for a CPAP will go down.  Anyone using a CPAP that's found a good work around for taking your CPAP with you?  Or do you just live without for a while?

Cheri Melichar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

I have sleep apnea and I use a product called Provent. They are like little patches you put on each nostril. CPAP com. I sleep great and best of all, no tubes and masks. Freedom at last! plus they are virtually weightless. Give them a try. Good sleep is important no matter where you are.

Stew Michaels · · Western Slope, CO · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 0

Hi, CPAP user here. I've been thinking about this problem for a long time and have not come up with an answer yet. I can camp easily enough with my CPAP because I bring along extra Deep Cell RV batteries and plug right into my inverter. However, hiking into a place where vehicles can't go is a different story. By the way, I'm not a heavy person anymore, I recently lost 60 lbs, and still have sleep apnea. This limitation stops me from doing anything more than a dayhike because I don't want to risk stopped breathing at night. I even did a practice run at home, sleeping without a CPAP, and it was not good. I've used my CPAP every night for the last 15 years. I think I'm going to experiment with a couple of things at home first and see if they might work. I didn't read what the other response said entirely but it made me think about those Breath Right strips. I did have a little relief with those before, going to try them again now that I've lost all the weight. I need to get this figured out because now that I'm semi-retired I have a lot more time to hike, and really want to do some 2 or 3 day hikes and work up from there.

Kendall Yancey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 27 days ago · Points: 0

i use a device called snorex.   its made for snorers but helps with apnea for some people.   i use a cpap machine at home but am able to go without the cpap for about a week with the SnoreX.   its just a  device that keeps your jaw from receding when you sleep.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Any CPAP users also backpackers?"