Hiking Project Logo

Watches for Hiking?

Original Post
Steven Lee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

Hi guys, going on a hike in Norway etc and was wondering is it necessary to have a "hiking" watch at all? Or would the smart phone just suffice. I know this sounds like a lame excuse to buy another watch but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on watches to wear on a hike or no watch is ok too.

Daniel Perch · · North Bergen · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

I suspect this is going to be another one of those threads with opinions all over the place.

The biggest lesson I learned about hiking the "right way" is that the "right way" is the way that works for you. There are very few methods that work well for everyone. I think a watch ruins the experience. Another will think it is a vital piece of safety equipment. Who is right? With proper planning, they both are. However, neither would be right for the other guy. If you need a watch to keep you from hiking in the dark, you better take one.

I am up at 5, on the trail by 6:30, and into camp at an average of 3. No watch needed for me. If you can't get on the trail before noon and have to worry about getting to camp before dark, you better have a watch: getawaychief.com/watches-fo….

Decide what is best for you and ignore the noise.

If you decide to buy it, my hiking friends liked this video:

Maybe, it'll be helpful for you.

Have a nice trip!

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

No, you don't necessarily need a "hiking watch". Smartphones these days provide more functionality than most "hiking watches" (with the exception of some GPS watches).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Watches for Hiking?"