Hiking Project Logo

Please bring back the virtual tours

Original Post
Mark Ahlers · · Lynnwood, WA · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

While their are other websites may have more trip reports and photos, and similar trail maps, your virtual tours put the Hiking Project in a class of it's  own.  After all, what other website shows a hiker that they will face a scary drop off from a  narrow ledge, something vitally important for those of use struggling to overcome a fear of heights, or new hikers?   The trail difficulty rating system can't compare to seeing the terrain faced on the virtual tour when assessing your skills relative to the path.  And then there is the ability to see the different views of the surrounding terrain from the different paths.   How useful is it to know that my morning hike on trail x will avoid back-lit conditions for the beautiful lake I have come to see?  

It is such a shame to see such brilliant programming, which provided a unique gift to the hiking world, go to waste.  

Brian Huber · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 97

Hey Mark,

We love our virtual tour feature too, and rest assured it never went away—it just became really hard to see against the light backdrop of the map tiles. We did some work today to make it stand out more. Look for the "Take a virtual tour" link at the bottom right-side of the map, and thanks for letting us know that it was getting lost on the page.

Mark Ahlers · · Lynnwood, WA · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

That's great news.  Thanks for letting me know.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Please bring back the virtual tours"