Hiking Project Logo

Stuff sacks

Original Post
Mike Bell · · Rome, GA · Joined 15 days ago · Points: 0

Does anyone else forego the stuff sack for their sleeping bag and just stuff the bag into the sleeping bag compartment of their pack?  I know its a small item, but seems to be one less item to keep up with if you leave it out.

Bruce Hope · · Medford, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 11,123

I gave up putting my sleeping bag in a stuff sack a while back and now just stuff it directly into the my backpack (a Granite Gear Crown 60). Doing so helps give the backpack some shape and eliminates dead spaces inside. And, in the morning, it's a lot easier to get the bag into the backpack than into a stuff sack (why do sleeping bags always seem to come with the smallest possible stuff sack?). If you're worried about the bag getting wet, line the backpack with a trash compactor bag first.

Joan Pendleton · · Almaden Valley, San Jose, CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 8,281

At night, my empty stuff sack gets to be my pillow by filling it with the extra clothes.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

I put my sleeping bag in a compression sack, which keeps it the right shape to stay at the bottom of my pack. It also offers some protection from stuff like tent stakes, tent poles, utensils or such item that also get shoved into my pack. At night my compression sack doubles as a pillow as Joan above.

4th St · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0

Stuff sack somewhat redundant when bag is zipped inside a water-repellant bivy sack. I confess to almost never using a stuff sack for this reason.

But a stuff sack, besides protecting bag, also has some value in managing  and controlling its bulk. Compression sacks are especially useful in this regard with synthetic insulation, whereas with the more durable down, a stuff sack alone can be adequate. Unfortunately, C sacks help to degrade synthetic insulation, and presumably to much lesser extent, down insulation.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Stuff sacks"