Hiking Project Logo

First Aid Kit

Original Post
Geoffrey Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 16 days ago · Points: 0

Hi, I'm looking at different first aid kits and I'm kind of lost amongst all the options.
What's the most important factors when it comes to a first aid kit?
I've seen hundreds of different ones aimed for hiking and I've read that a lot of people make their own.

• Do you guys buy a complete one or compile your own? Why not buy a complete one? 
  • What's the most important to have in a first aid kit? 
  • Is the actual bag important? 
  • What is the difference between the bags and why are some better/worse than others? 
Thanks for the help! 
aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

This may sound like a cliche, but the most important thing in your first aid kit is first aid knowledge. Taking a Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid (normally a 2-day course) is a lot more valuable than any first aid kit you can buy. Of course, it's also quite expensive compared to a first aid kit, but it's money well spend if you're really serious about been prepared.

If you don't want to take a course, the benefit of a commercial kit is that it's relatively cheap, and contains some useful items. The actual bag is not all that important, but it helps to keep things organized and let people readily identify it's a first aid kit. I used to build my one kit and put everything in a large zip lock bag, but the zip lock bag degrades rapidly and I end up having to replace it fairly often. I ended up just buying a commercial kit for the bag, and customized it.

The problem with commercial kits is that they're usually only good for some minor injuries, and lack stuff for a major emergency. I mean, it's great that there's a bunch of bandaids and molskins in assorted sizes to choose from if I get a scrape, a cut, or a blister, but often treatment of these minor injuries can be improvised, and even left untreated for a day they are not likely to turn into anything other than a minor annoyance. But most kits don't contain anything to treat a sprain, fracture, major trauma, hypothermia, dehydration, etc. But I guess many people who buy a commercial kit also don't know how to treat those things, it really goes back to the point "knowledge is the most important part of your first aid kit".

Albi Eds · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 17

Honestly the commercial first aid kits are wayyy too much of what you need and can be a lot cheaper piecing it out yourself. I buy a few items I know im going to use a bit like gauze and bandaids in bulk and replenish my kit after each trip and then have items pertaining to the adventure. I do climbing, biking, hiking and rafting trips so I have different first aid kits for each activity. I also keep the larger items in my car so that if camping or day hiking or getting to my car at the end of a backpack trip I have items to help out in any situation. These are things like a foldable split, more dressings and gauze, and any liquds. I try to keep my field kits light.

I highly recommend a Wilderness First Aid class, it's two days and you learn tools and a mindset to be the person of action rather than a bystander. At least get your CPR certification as well.

Charles jon520 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 23 days ago · Points: 0

Thank for sharing your article about of first aid kit.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "First Aid Kit"