Hiking Project Logo

API call for searching a Hike/Trail by Name

Original Post
Isaiah Scheel · · Walla Walla, WA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hello, I am working on an app for school about keeping track of hikes one has done and ones on a wishlist to do. Does the Data API have a call that will return a list of hikes based off of name? I am trying to implement a search/auto complete functionality to the app. Thank you for any information!

Erik Werner · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 0

You have the ability to pull your wishlist by username.

https://www.hikingproject.com/data

Isaiah Scheel · · Walla Walla, WA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hello Eric, I appreciate your response, but we actually have our users on a different database and are not utilizing the wishlist of the Hiking Project. We have their username, wishlist, and done list on our own database and are creating a mobile app to store pictures, trip description, etc. This is just for a school project, but I was wondering if the Data API was able to return a list of hikes based off of name. Similar to the getTrails method, however a user would input a name and return hikes closest to that name.

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I say "closest to that name" I mean by spelling or if they had just started typing it, say they want to search "Jade Lake" and had only typed "Jade" it would query the data base and return hikes based off of name.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "API call for searching a Hike/Trail by Name"