Hiking Project Logo

Appalachian Trail - Section Hike - Advice Please

Original Post
Nicolas Cea · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Hello, I have recently decided to take a 10 day trip to a segment on the Appalachian Trail. I am planning on taking my father on a surprise trip as it has always been his dream to hike the trail. The reason I need some advice is that I am a beginner and even though I have read many different articles I am still unsure as to a good place to start. I would like a place with a lot of scenery and not too many people. Also what is usually the process that one goes through when planning this kind of trip?

Dalton Cooper · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

I'm biased but the North Carolina sections are pretty amazing. There are tons of iconic sights there (Fontana Dam, Clingman's Dome, Sugarland Meadows, etc) and the weather is beautiful in Spring and Fall. Summer is also pretty tolerable since it's in the mountains plus the mosquitos down here aren't quite as vicious as the ones up North.

If I had to chip in a specific suggestion, Standing Indian is some of my favorite hiking I've ever done and isn't quite as popular as some of the aforementioned sights, so you'd definitely be avoiding some of the crowds.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Stuff
Post a Reply to "Appalachian Trail - Section Hike - Advice Please"