Hiking Project Logo

Downloading Trail Maps

Original Post
ROBERT JAMES · · Cumberland, MD · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Can a trail map be downloaded to smartphone for off line usage while on the trail?

Liz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 2,780

Hi Robert,

Yes! Go ahead an download the Hiking Project Mobile app (hikingproject.com/mobile-ap…). Once downloaded be sure to enable location services if you want the app to locate you on the map in order to show nearby trails.  You can download areas which are in downloadable packages by state. To do this go to the menu button in the upper left, click areas, then scroll down to find and download the state or country you're interested in. Once you have your state downloaded, even without cell service, you'll be able to see the downloaded line data and your location on the map. However, the app does not download and save the base maps to your phone. If you know you'll be taking the mobile app offline soon, you'll have an even better experience if you take a moment to scan around that area in the app. This will allow the app to save the background map as long as the app is open. The line data will display clearly whether you take this extra step or not, and you should always be able to see a blue dot indicating your exact location on the map.

Best!
Liz

Maverick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0
Liz wrote: Hi Robert,

Yes! Go ahead an download the Hiking Project Mobile app (hikingproject.com/mobile-ap…). Once downloaded be sure to enable location services if you want the app to locate you on the map in order to show nearby trails.  You can download areas which are in downloadable packages by state. To do this go to the menu button in the upper left, click areas, then scroll down to find and download the state or country you're interested in. Once you have your state downloaded, even without cell service, you'll be able to see the downloaded line data and your location on the map. However, the app does not download and save the base maps to your phone. If you know you'll be taking the mobile app offline soon, you'll have an even better experience if you take a moment to scan around that area in the app. This will allow the app to save the background map as long as the app is open. The line data will display clearly whether you take this extra step or not, and you should always be able to see a blue dot indicating your exact location on the map.

Best!
Liz

Will we ever be able to download map data for offline use? I usually turn my phone off overnight when backpacking to conserve battery, so I lose the cache data.

Liz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 2,780

Hi Robert,

This is certainly a problem we've talked about and are working out how to solve. I wouldn't expect an imminent solution, but stay tuned as it's something we would look to implement as we make more improvements to the sites and maps!

Best,
Liz

Loranel Pace · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I see no menu item that says download as is referred to on this thread. There is no link on my app to “ download” anything. How is this done?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Downloading Trail Maps"