Hiking Project Logo

Downloading Trail Maps

Original Post
ROBERT JAMES · · Cumberland, MD · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Can a trail map be downloaded to smartphone for off line usage while on the trail?

Liz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 3,990

Hi Robert,

Yes! Go ahead an download the Hiking Project Mobile app (hikingproject.com/mobile-ap…). Once downloaded be sure to enable location services if you want the app to locate you on the map in order to show nearby trails.  You can download areas which are in downloadable packages by state. To do this go to the menu button in the upper left, click areas, then scroll down to find and download the state or country you're interested in. Once you have your state downloaded, even without cell service, you'll be able to see the downloaded line data and your location on the map. However, the app does not download and save the base maps to your phone. If you know you'll be taking the mobile app offline soon, you'll have an even better experience if you take a moment to scan around that area in the app. This will allow the app to save the background map as long as the app is open. The line data will display clearly whether you take this extra step or not, and you should always be able to see a blue dot indicating your exact location on the map.

Best!
Liz

Maverick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0
Liz wrote: Hi Robert,

Yes! Go ahead an download the Hiking Project Mobile app (hikingproject.com/mobile-ap…). Once downloaded be sure to enable location services if you want the app to locate you on the map in order to show nearby trails.  You can download areas which are in downloadable packages by state. To do this go to the menu button in the upper left, click areas, then scroll down to find and download the state or country you're interested in. Once you have your state downloaded, even without cell service, you'll be able to see the downloaded line data and your location on the map. However, the app does not download and save the base maps to your phone. If you know you'll be taking the mobile app offline soon, you'll have an even better experience if you take a moment to scan around that area in the app. This will allow the app to save the background map as long as the app is open. The line data will display clearly whether you take this extra step or not, and you should always be able to see a blue dot indicating your exact location on the map.

Best!
Liz

Will we ever be able to download map data for offline use? I usually turn my phone off overnight when backpacking to conserve battery, so I lose the cache data.

Hi Robert,

This is certainly a problem we've talked about and are working out how to solve. I wouldn't expect an imminent solution, but stay tuned as it's something we would look to implement as we make more improvements to the sites and maps!

Best,
Liz

Loranel Pace · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I see no menu item that says download as is referred to on this thread. There is no link on my app to “ download” anything. How is this done?

Hi Loranel,

We've recently made some significant changes to the app. To download new areas in the app, open the app and tab the "Areas" tab at the bottom. From that page you should be able to download any area listed.

Liz

Karen K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

"you'll have an even better experience if you take a moment to scan around that area in the app. This will allow the app to save the background map as long as the app is open. "  Can you provide more details about how to 'scan around that area in the app."  Do you just mean scan for the hike that you want to do and then leave that hike open on in the app on your phone before you leave the house?

Yup! If you have a hike in mind, pan around the area on the map, zooming in and out so that all the panels load fully. As long as you leave the app open on your phone, those will stay loaded once you no longer have internet. If you don't know exactly where you want to hike, we recommend panning around a larger swath of the map area, so that you have more information at hand.

But remember, even without an internet connection the line data will always be there, even if you can't see the background map tiles.

Liz

Derek Edwardo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Is there an area to put in feature requests? This is a very basic need that should be somewhat east to implement. Is there a roadmap for future releases or features? I think this should be #1 priority because, as others have said, this is basically a non-starter for using the hiking project as an actual backpacking/hiking application in nature.

Please visit our Help Center. Below the FAQ  you will find a link to submit feedback.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Downloading Trail Maps"