Hiking Project Logo

My Altra Lone Peak 3.5 Review & Anyone Use La Sportiva Bushido?

Original Post
Bonefish Boards · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

So I have about 200 miles on my Altra Lone Peak 3.5 trail shoes.  I got a great deal on them, but not entirely happy with them.  I did replace the insole with some standard Powerstep insoles (which I love).

Pros:  

• They seem well built and are holding up after 200 trail miles.  I suppose they could break down at any moment.  But they seem good so far.  
  • Price is currently awesome as they are discontinued and being usurped by other Altra models.
  • I actually like the mini water drains in the toe area.  Seems like most folks think they're stupid or window dressing.  I've fallen in a few creeks and these shoes don't puddle water.
Cons:

• Instep feels awfully short.  My laces are barely long enough to tie.  I do have a slightly high instep, but this seems ridiculous.
  • The heel padding on one shoe has become completely displaced and makes the fit terrible
  • The sole material has very poor grip on wet rocks.  This should be upgraded to Vibram or 5.10 rubber.  Both get decent grip on wet rocks and even ice, to some extent.  Certainly much better than these shoes.
So, I'm looking to replace the shoes sometime in the foreseeable future.  Has anyone used the La Sportiva Bushido?  As a rock climber, I love La Sportiva shoes.  Did three big walls in Yosemite in ONE pair of La Sportiva Machiers; incredible shoe.  Plus the Bushido looks to have Vibram rubber soles.  However, the shoe padding is described as 'moderate' and that has me slightly concerned.

Thanks for any help!
Albi Eds · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 17

I love my Altra Lone Peaks 3.0s and plan to get a newer one soon after its gone kaput.

I used the Bushidos - great trail running shoe, but the second I tried it for backpacking (even a 5-10 lbs day pack) my heels got wrecked from the aggressive angle of the heel section. Blisters galore, I tried it a few more times and I decided to return them to REI before they were too worn. Got the LaSportiva GoreTex shoes and they held up pretty well - just doesn't breathe as well as the Altras. So I'll use those for a trip I know is gonna be a wet one - or in colder weather aside from snowy grounds. Then Im up on boots.

John Toepfer · · Buena Vista, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 90

I'm on my third Altra Lone Peaks, now at 4.0.  For me they are a great trail or easy scramble shoe.  My experience on wet rock has been different.  They do well for me in all the conditions I've had in the Colorado Rockies, including wet and snow.  I've also backpacked with a 40lb. pack (I know - I'm just not an ultralight kind of guy!) and not had any foot issues.

But for harder scrambles and off-trail summits I use LaSportiva Mutants.  I feel like a mountain goat with them.  LaSportiva just knows sticky rubber.  They are a bit too narrow for my feet, but I like them so much I don't let that bother me.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "My Altra Lone Peak 3.5 Review & Anyone Use La S…"