Hiking Project Logo

Looking for Scenic Hikes for May, 20-30miles loop trails

Original Post
Igor Dimitrijevski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation of scenic backpacking trails that I can do this May. My criteria is: 20-30 miles in length, loop trails, no snow.

Bruce Hope · · Medford, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 11,752

It would help to know where you'd like to do this loop. I'm assuming, therefore, somewhere in the U.S.  May can be a tricky month depending on how much snow (if any) an area got over the winter. And whether the trails suffered over-winter damage (fallen trees, slides, etc.) can also be a factor. As can temperature in that some of the desert areas are already starting to heat up by then.  But here are some ideas:
(1) Rogue River Trail (bootsonthetrail.blog/2015/0…), 40 miles with a shuttle or you can do an out & back from either end
(2) Wild Rogue Loop (bootsonthetrail.blog/2017/0…), 30 mile loop
(3) Buckskin Gulch/Paria River Loop in Utah (bootsonthetrail.blog/2018/0…), around 30 miles but permits may be an issue
(4) Upper Paria River in Utah (bootsonthetrail.blog/2016/0…), a 26 mile loop, no permits required
I'm sure there are plenty of other possible loops in the Midwest and East.  Maybe you'll hear from other's about those.

Igor Dimitrijevski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Thank you for the suggestions Bruce. I will keep them in mind for my next adventure. I've decided to do the Grand Teton Crest Trail last week of May. It is not a loop but I can take a shuttle from one end and meet my car on the other. I guess I can deal with some snow. I was looking at the average temperatures at that time and it says 60s during day and 40s during night. 

Bruce Hope · · Medford, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 11,752

The Teton Traverse looks like an amazing hike!  There's a snow monitoring station (nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/snowplo…) to the west of your route that you might want to keep an eye on with respect to how much snow you're likely to encounter in late May.

Lou Poulas · · Lake Hopatcong · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 2,452

I've day hiked Dolly Sods Wilderness in West Virginia and have absolutely fallen in love with the place.  There are also 20-30 mile loops you can do

https://www.hikingproject.com/directory/8015288/dolly-sods-wilderness

Dalton Cooper · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

May in the North Carolina is beautiful! Standing Indian in Nantahala National Forest is some of my favorite hiking I've ever done and is a good 2-night, 24 mile affair. The Linville Gorge in Pisgah National Forest is another classic if you're into beautiful scenery and type 2 fun - don't think I've ever been without it being an adventure somehow (last time I went I was caught in a cold snap and woke up under 2 inches of snow, but that was in March). There are also endless loops you can do in the Smokies.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Stuff
Post a Reply to "Looking for Scenic Hikes for May, 20-30miles lo…"