Hiking Project Logo

Hiking pants for big glutes and thighs?

Original Post
Emmy Watson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Female beginning to hike more regularly. Really struggling to find hiking pants to fit. Cyclist for many years, size 6-8 on top but 12-14 on the bottom so. I have a small upper body and waist but big buttocks and thighs from genetics and cycling. Looking for any advice as I think hikers use the same muscles and maybe fellow pears.

Gracie Kessenich · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 11

Hey Emmy! I have the same problem, I'm a size 6-8 on top and a 10-12 on bottom (sometimes 14 depending on the brand). I wear a size 10 in my REI Kornati roll up hiking pants that are a stretchy material. They're the best ones I've found thus far that don't make me uncomfortable in all different ranges of motion. Though I will say they are a little tight on my belly on bloated days. A size 12 could have worked just as well.

Here's a picture of what they look like on me (from behind because I can't find another picture at the moment).

Hope this helps!

Gracie
Emmy Watson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks Gracie. You have the same waist to lower body ratio as me. I haven’t found any yet so I may give them a go. Would you say they are roomy enough for the rear? I find that’s where you don’t want any restriction in hiking because we all naturally generate power from there and want full motion. High five to big muscular glutes :-)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Hiking pants for big glutes and thighs? "