Hiking Project Logo

best way to carry camera and gear on backpacking trips

Original Post
Tanner Baloh · · Boston, MA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 14

Hi - I have a Canon Rebel t5 that I take on backpacking trips. I had been carrying it in a basic sling bag in addition to my backpack, however I have just bought a long-range lens for it and am now looking into sturdier options for carrying the camera and lenses into the backcountry. I have been looking at more heavy duty sling options, the Lowepro Slingshot seems like a good option, but I'm wondering if you guys have ideas for other possibilities. Quick access isn't a must, and the camera is the only indulgence I really take when packing for these trips, so I'm wondering if a case that could then go into my backpack isn't a bad option. Thanks for the help!

The Last Lebowski · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

I used to carry a padded camera cube, but since then I've hopped on the ultralight train and came up with this minimalistic solution.
I carry my Sony A6000 with a 16-55mm lens on the camera most of the time, mounted on my shoulder with something like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002673-REG/peak_design_ccc_2_0s_capture_camera_clip_v2.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiAr93gBRDSARIsADvHiOobsNNv2ISxydbmpex4bvF4tyXmTvVYSSCJP8Pw5pNqzfG_B4q5IRgaAp3HEALw_wcB&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=Y

and I wear a fanny pack fronty-style with my telephoto 55-210 stuck inside two can koozies for protection. Inside the fanny pack I carry a microfiber and a nickel to remove the QR mount from the bottom of my camera when I want to use my tri-pod. Inside my backpack I carry a dry bag with an extra battery or two and a silica gel packet in case my camera got a little wet before I put it in the dry bag. I keep my super compact tri-pod in the mesh outiside pocket of my pack.
I've just found that most camera bags aren't great back-packing bags, and this system worked really well for me on a 36 mile trip through Yellowstone. Hope this helps!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "best way to carry camera and gear on backpackin…"