Hiking Project Logo

Winter hiking boots

Original Post
Todd Steglinski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 22 days ago · Points: 0

I'm 6' 3" male, large hiking stride, brisk pace (speed hiker).  Need new winter hiking boots that allow for a brisk pace, waterproof, reasonably insulated, lightweight, good traction.  Narrow, low-volume foot.  Don't need my feet in sweat soaked boots.  I'm in Massachusetts.  I'm doing an average of 5 mile circuit hikes as long as the snow isn't excessive.

On Merrell's recommendation....eying the Merrell Thermo Rogue-Mid GTX or Merrell Thermo Freeze Mid waterproof and/or the LaSportiva Crossover 2.0 GTX.

It's a toss-up because of the materials they use.  No two are the same. Thermo Rogue is said to be their upper end boot and Backpacker.com gives a good speed hiker type of review (Editor's Choice 2018) with a tested temp rating to 10 degrees in Iceland.  100 grams of insulation, but it's a unique GTX / gel insulation, so I'm told not to let the 100 grams be misleading.  "100 grams of Primaloft® Aerogel lightweight, low bulk insulation traps in heat even when compressed."

Thermo Freeze has 400 grams of a more traditional insulation, 400 grams M Select™ WARM lightweight, low bulk insulation.  Temp rated to 0 degrees.  

LaSportiva Crossover gets very good reviews for being a winter trail runner / speed hiker.  Gore-Tex® Extended Comfort / Gore-FLEX.

Which way should I lean?  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Winter hiking boots"