Hiking Project Logo

Using the app on Android

Original Post
Ido Isler · · Mount Shasta, CA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Hi there,
I'm using Android and am trying to use the app,
I'm a bit confused about what I can do with it and how!

It seems like, I can only add hikes to a to-do list and check in.

Lou Poulas · · Lake Hopatcong · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 2,366

I personally like the app for it's on trail navigation, following the designated route so you don't get lost.  I still prefer the website for researching where to go next.

Ido Isler · · Mount Shasta, CA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Cheers Lou,
Does anyone know about plans to add more features to the Android app???

Liz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 2,596

Hi Ido,
We do expect to be making some updates to the Android app soon. We're a small team that works to provide the best user experience, so these changes take some time—but stay tuned!

Jeng Won · · Fort Worth, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Would like to see about creating a custom route for myself.  more of a planning part.  Wouldn't mind if there were icons on the trail that would maybe mention known water sources as you're trailing along.

Jeff Andrews · · SLO · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Hello. Is it possible to add a trail using the Android app? Thanks!

Liz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 2,596

Hi Jeff,

At the moment it is not possible to add trails directly through the apps. However, if you log into your account on the website you can add content.

Liz

Michael Smith · · Chesterfield, VA · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 308

If one of the primary goals is to get users to add trails into the app then perhaps this should be one of the top features.  Right now it appears you must use a 3rd party app to record your trail tracks, export the data, import that data into the Hiking Project web interface, and then add all the descriptive content.  I'll see how it goes.  

Julie Johnston · · Stroh, IN · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Another android user here.  Any timeline on being able to record new trails from the app?  I have a few trails that I regularly hike that are not recorder and a couple of bigger backpacking trips that have sections not recorded.  Would like to be able to add these trails without hassle of using another app to obtain the data. Love the app and love that it's free.  Would just like to be able to easily contribute!! 

That would be best Julie, I totally agree.  I am sure you have your own ways and probably know this already, but in the interim until the app does it, Strava works best for my routine.  Two click process to download gpx from the strava site and upload it to hiking project, but all has to be done via a computer and not on your phone.

Thanks Lou.  I use Fitbit to track my hiking and I was able to figure out how to get the gps track from the app but it wasn't in the right format to upload.  I honestly don't remember what format it was in but I couldn't figure out how to convert it to what the Hiking Project needed.  I got busy with other things and honestly haven't tried again.  I'm not completely computer illiterate but I'm not super savvy either.  I was hoping that this tracking feature would be opened up for android soon but if not, I'll play around with it some more and see if I can figure it out.  If anyone know as easy way to use the Fitbit tracks, I'd love to hear it!

Ahh, i think that is the problem Julie.  From what I understand (I am definitely not an expert) Hiking Project requires the file format to be either GPX, KMZ, or KML.  Fitbit exports in a different format called TCX, which is similar, but also adds health-data such as heart rate to the file.  

You will need to convert the Fitbit export to GPX before loading to Hiking Project.  For different reasons, I use a free converter at gpsvisualizer.com/convert_i… it, should do the trick.

Thank you, Lou!  I will try the converter.  I did look it up and Strava is compatible with FitBit but I'd rather not have to add another app to my phone if I can just convert the FitBit data into something Hiking Project will accept.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Using the app on Android"