Hiking Project Logo

Overland Trails

Original Post
Jonathan West · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Not sure where to suggest this. I love MTB Project, Hiking Project, Mountain Project. What I need is Overland Project​, the same sort of app for overland and Jeep trails. Would be great! Thanks for these apps, guys and gals!

Isaac Bozeman · · Pacific Islands · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 5,912

When you say ‘overland’ what do you mean? Because there are hiking trails that are ‘overland trails’. Most of these occur on a coastal trails, when you have to climb over a bluff due to tides.

Thanks! 

Liz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 2,750

Hi Jonathan,

You are not the first person to request an OHV Project! It is unlikely that we will be building a new Project in the very near future, but feedback like this helps us know what people want to see.

Thanks!

Liz

Phil Puhl · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

I agree with Jonathan West! An overland app would be awesome! I know Overland Bound has an app that is for a lot of the overland community (it's more or less a massive resource bank and forum) but I don't think there is an app quite like Hiking Project for the overlanding scene.

Overlanding , for people who don't know...it's vehicle based adventure travel. Think of all the trails you hike but the twist is it's your vehicle doing all the work

Mindy Frye · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 66

This is a fabulous idea!!! I would be delighted to participate!

Bruce Hope · · Medford, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 11,564

If you are going to include overland or OHV trails, then I think they need to be in a project separate from the hiking project.  Most OHV trails in our area are not what most hikers think of as trails and, while you can hike on them (and sometimes have to to link actual hiking trails), doing so is usually no fun.  If the hiking project were to lead an out-of-town hiker to one of our OHV trails with them expecting a quiet single-track walk in the forest, they would be sorely disappointed. So to be clear - I have no issues with OHV enthusiasts motoring around in designated areas. But labeling OHV "trails" as hiking trails is misleading and could undermine the usefulness of the hiking project.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Overland Trails"