Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Hiking Project Logo

I want to map local trails. What is the best way to do so?

Original Post
Sarah Burkett · · Ohio · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

I just downloaded the app only to find out my local area is hardly mapped! Can the app record the trail as I walk or do I have to use a 3rd party gps app? I have Geo Tracker and it looks easy enough, will I be able to import the file from geo tracker into hiking project? Also, how do people keep track of where on the trail photos were taken? If there's an app for that I'd love to hear about it. I am on Android.

Isaac Bozeman · · Pacific Islands · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 5,488
Sarah,The Hiking Project app allows you to GPS track your hikes. I have attached photos showing how to do so. However it is easier to hike the trails and take note of which ones you went on. When you go to add trails, ‘draw’ them out instead of basing them on a GPS track. When you do this use the NeoTrecks or Topo maps to identify the trail locations.
When you take photos there is a location built into the data, which is stored with the photo. When you upload them to a computer and then add them, it should find the correct location on the map. 

Happy Trails!
Isaac Bozeman

The steeper the climb the better the view.

I'm not seeing an option for tracking in the app. See screenshots:

Sarah,

That is very interesting. I have an IPhone so it may be only on certain phones. But you can us RunKeeper, or AllTrails to track your hikes. I’m not sure if the GPS file will still be usable in the same way. Which is why I recommend ‘drawing’ them out on the mapping program.

Lou Poulas · · Lake Hopatcong · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 2,204

You have to use a 3rd party app like Strava to record your tracks.  Then export the gpx file to your computer, and upload it to the hiking project website.  The gpx file can then be edited or altered as needed via the Hiking Project website.  For me, drawing them is tedious and I prefer gpx files, but that is just my personal preference.

For photos, you can also upload them to Hiking Project website.  If they are geotagged (most phones automatically do this) they will automatically be placed in the right location.  If not, you must drag the map to the correct location.

This link will get you to the page where you can load both photos and trails...

Thank you for the help everyone!

Jim Hedgepath · · Lexington, SC · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I recorded at track of a hike in my local area that should be added. It was very accurate in depicting where the trail is but it does not seem to be any way to record the track to share. If I understand the comments here I need to record the track with another app and upload the gpx file here and add the photos. Would be nice if all this was in this one app.

Lou Poulas · · Lake Hopatcong · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 2,204

Jim - in your first sentence you said you recorded a track - what did you record it on? Something like strava, map my hikes, a gps, etc?  If you have that recording it can be uploaded at the Hiking Project.  

Jim,
You can also track your hikes VIA the Hiking Project App, and then upload them.

Happy Trails!
Isaac Bozeman 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "I want to map local trails. What is the best wa…"