Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Hiking Project Logo

Adding a route...

Original Post
Chris Cordray · · Terre Haute, IN · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 121

I’m new to this and having trouble.  I recorded a walk this morning on the Hiking Project app, but can’t see how to add it from the app.  I followed the link in the app and read the instructions but it doesn’t say anything about how to add a recorded hike from the HP app itself, just other apps such as Strava and MapMyFitness.  What am I missing?

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,053

Hello Chris,

Thanks for reaching out with a great question! If you have recorded a hike or a trail through our mobile app, you'll need to use a computer to get the route converted to a hike/trail on the site. If you log on online, you should be able to see the route listed under your profile. From there, if you click into the route, you should be able to convert the recorded GPS file to a hike/trail. This process can only be done online, and not from the app itself. 

Let me know if that helps, and we can go from there!

Best regards,
Mikhaila 

Marijn Speth · · Brussels · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 46

Hi Mikhaila,

Just encountered the same issue. To be sure: it’s not possible to add a route via the website but on our mobile phones (instead of a computer)? I other words I will only see the button to convert my route to a trail on a desktop?

Regards,

Marijn

Bill Earl · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

I'm relatively new to the app but have lots of experience with marine gps and what are referred to as chartplotters in that environment.  So, I'm trying to figure out how to use Hiking project (perhaps along with MapMyHike) to set up a trail before leaving home and then to track it with the gps on my Android phone.  Reading through the FAQs, it looks like this is only implemented for IOS.  Am I correct?  I'm going to try for a short hike this afternoon and will be playing with it in the field. So may have more comments later today.  I really want to be able to do all of this where there is no cell phone service.  That means, somehow, caching the topo in my phone.

Marijn Speth · · Brussels · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 46

@Mikhaila I've accessed a desktop and figured everything out. No need for assistance anymore. Best!

Marijn Speth wrote: Hi Mikhaila,

Just encountered the same issue. To be sure: it’s not possible to add a route via the website but on our mobile phones (instead of a computer)? I other words I will only see the button to convert my route to a trail on a desktop?

Regards,

Marijn

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,053

Hello Marjin and Bill,

Glad to hear that you were able to get everything figured out Marjin! Let me know if you have any questions in the future!

Bill, I want to make sure that I get your questions addressed. Currently, the tracking feature is only available in iOS, but that should be changing soon. It should work offline once it is available in Android. Let me know if that helps!

Best,
Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Adding a route..."