Hiking Project Logo

NeoTreks map just wrong

Original Post
Jordan Brown · · Granada Hills, CA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 281

Take a look at
https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7052285/mission-point-out-and-back
with the NeoTreks map.  Note that the trail as I submitted it has basically nothing to do with the trail as NeoTreks maps it.  Then look at the aerial photography to see that there is simply no trail where NeoTreks says there is one.  For more contrast, compare with the Terrain and OSM maps.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,029

Hey Jordan,

Was there any motion to change the routing of your GPS track to match NeoTreks? We use that particular base map with the full knowledge that sometimes it outdated. Because the resources was created with USFS data from a dataset from the early 2000's, we try to double check any trails that are added with another resource as well. Many times, the map is still correct, but it's not 100% accurate. Let me know if that helps.

Best,
Mikhaila 

Jordan Brown · · Granada Hills, CA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 281

No, nobody has suggested changing the track to match the NeoTrek data.

My track is accurate.  I don't remember if I drew it or loaded it from the GPS - I think I drew the trail and uploaded the hike - but it matches the aerial photo, and the trail hasn't changed (except for the closure at the top) in thirty years.  (In fact, it looks like it hasn't changed much in a hundred years... it looks like the differences between ~1900 maps and today's maps are just inaccuracies in the old maps rather than differences in the trails.  I've got caltopo.com overlaying 1885-1915 maps on current maps, and it looks like the differences are mostly that the older maps are misregistered.)

The NeoTreks data for this trail is just wrong, totally wrong.  It's not even like it's misregistered; the shape is wrong.

Their data does look accurate for the other hikes that I've spot-checked, but an error this large would make me very nervous about using their data.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,029

Hey Jordan,

Thanks for letting us know! We typically verify each of the trails on our site with multiple sources, which means that NeoTreks is rarely the only resources used to confirm the routing of GPS tracks. I'll let my team know about your experience with the maps so that we can remain extra vigilant when confirming GPS tracks in the future.

Best regards,
Mikhaila  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "NeoTreks map just wrong"
in the Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions