Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Hiking Project Logo

Solo Trip Ideas

Original Post
Ryan Garrett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 17 days ago · Points: 0

Hey Guys!  I have about a 1 week window in between semesters and really want to find a backpacking trip to recharge before buckling down again.  I've done plenty of car-camping and did Kintla Lake to Hole in the Wall (Glacier) roundtrip last year with my brother in law as my first backcountry trip.  I'm hooked.  That trip was relatively easy for me as I'm pretty physically fit (4 days w/ 50lb pack).

I'm a little hesitant to go solo, but am strongly considering it.  Any suggestions that might be comparable to the Glacier trip in terms of skill-level?  I've looked at the Four Pass Loop in Aspen.  Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,026

Hello R,

It sounds like you have quite a few options! Where are you hoping to get to? It sounds like Colorado is a possibility? Additionally, do you have any thoughts about mileage?

Hopefully I can provide a handful of recommendations with a little more detail!

Best regards,
Mikhaila 

Well, I'm in Oklahoma and am hoping to be able to drive west/NW.  The Kintla/Hole in the Wall trip was about 20 miles each way, so 40 miles roundtrip with some decent elevation changes (although much lower than the four pass loop).  I could head East and do stuff in the Ozarks, but would prefer something more scenic.  

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,026

Hey R,

Gotcha! Hmm. I think that the 4 Pass Loop is certainly scenic! It is also quite popular, and you're likely to encounter others on the loop. There are quite a few trails around the Leadville area that offer similar views and trail difficulty, but may be a little more secluded. Here's a link to what looks like a fun multi-day route, though it's a bit longer than your initial 40 mile trip. There are a lot of great options!

Best,
Mikhaila 

Very interesting.  Thanks for the link.  So, in terms of the 4 Pass Loop, it's probably not a huge deal that it's my first solo, being that there will inevitably be others passing on the trail in mid-August...

Love this site, by the way.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Solo Trip Ideas"
in the Other Stuff