Hiking Project Logo

Adding to existing trail?

Original Post
Amy Taivalkoski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

If a trail exists in the app, e.g. the Long Trail in VT, but it is not the entire trail (it is missing 100 miles at the southern end, should I be add to the existing trail or create a new trail which encompasses the entire trail? I would think when someone wants to learn about the Long Trail the app should come up with it as the entire trail not just a northern and a southern section? So should I create a new trail called the entire Long Trail?

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,050

Hello Amy,

Thank you for reaching out! As I was taking a closer look at what we have mapped out on the site, I'm thinking that we might have given precedence to the Appalachian Trail, since the two seem to overlap for the southern 100 miles of the Long Trail. While that might have been an appropriate choice at one point in time, I think that getting the full Long Trail mapped out is more important than keeping the trails from overlapping (especially since that's how it is on the ground!).

Typically with Long Distance Trails, we try to add smaller "official" segments as the trail manager defines them. I'm thinking that might have been one of the reasons that we have smaller sections of the trail, instead of one single Long Trail entry. Since it looks like we have 150 miles of the Long Trail mapped out, I would be more than happy to get the southern 100 miles appended to the existing route. If you'd prefer to add your own GPS track, it's likely that we could replace the whole track. Either one will work for us, so let me know what you'd prefer!

Best regards,
Mikhaila 

Laurel Williams · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

I would like to know how to add a trail that is not currently available on The Hiking Project.
The hike i just did, and my next planned hike are not on the site, but they are hikes i think others would enjoy. 
Thank you,
Laurel

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,050

Hello Laurel,

Thanks for reaching out! There are some great resources on getting started on our FAQ Page, where there are detailed instructions about GPS tracks, drawing on the map, and where to go from there. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Adding to existing trail?"