Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Hiking Project Logo

Use ecoregions for new hiking areas

Original Post
Miguel Vieira · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 2,859

Hey guys. I was looking at this map of ecoregions - areas of the world with the same topography, climate, flora, fauna, etc - and I was thinking they'd be a great way to define hiking areas, since they cross political borders and since all the hikes in an ecoregion would have about the same character and scenery. I'd love to see sub-areas in the trail directory that would let me browse the top trails in the California redwood forests, the Northern Rockies, the Blue Ridge Mountains, etc:

https://ecoregions2017.appspot.com

The map data is CC-BY, so I suspect you could just use their polygons and pick some more user-friendly names.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,048

Hey Miguel,

Thanks for reaching out with a great suggestion! I definitely like where your head is at, and I think that your mention of hiking California Redwoods, Northern Rockies etc. highlights how many ways it's possible to choose a destination! At the current moment, our system is somewhat rigid and as a result can only support one location/area system. Because we have been working within the city/state type breakdown, I suspect that this is how our data will remain for the moment. However, as we gain bandwidth and capabilities, adding a more regional component would be amazing! I will pass your feedback along to our development team to keep in mind as we continue to hone the site.

Thanks for a great suggestion!
Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Use ecoregions for new hiking areas"
in the Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions