Hiking Project Logo

how to use software

Original Post
Del Kelso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 45

i was trying to upload a group of *.gpx that are parts of the same trail...a loop, some spurs and a couple of logging roads.  the interface only allows me to upload 1 *.gpx.  combining them would not be good.  and the interface apparently auto selected for trail name.  the interface seems very limited functionality.  how do i delete?  where are the detailed instructions?

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,027

Hello Del, 

Thank you for reaching out. I appreciate your letting us know about the .gpx troubles that you've been having. I am interested in hearing a bit more about the route that you were hoping to upload. It sounds like you have numerous unjoined tracks, but I was curious about when you mention that combining them wouldn't be good. Are the segments all part of one hike? Were you hoping to keep each segment as an individual trail, and then combine them into a longer featured hike after uploading the segments? I think that knowing a bit more about your goals will help me to direct you. 

If you've uploaded portions, you should be able to delete them, especially if they're assigned to your profile. If you navigate to your profile, you should see your submissions, and should be able to click on them to edit, unless you have already submitted the routes for admin review. Let me know if you have, and we can get them sent back your way! 

We have some detailed instructions on our FAQ Page, if you would like to learn more. 

Let me know if that helps, or if there's anything else that I can do for you. 

Best regards,

Mikhaila 

Mikhaila,

thanks for getting back to me.  i uploaded the trail segments individually (like separate trails), so i don't have to combine them all into one *.gpx after all.  not sure if this was your intended way to handle a group of segments, but achieves the desired outcome, at least for me.

Del Kelso

PS - the reason why i didn't want to combine all of these into a single *.gpx is going to be pretty obvious if you look at the 5 segments i have uploaded.  i think separate *.gpx files are much more usefful.

if the trail was submitted as one gpx, the mileage would be all whacked.  maybe your website has a way to record accumulated distance, but this trail can be started / ended / hiked several different ways.  by setting each one up as a separate gpx, users will be able to readily determine length of trail, regardless of which trailhead / segments they hike.  does that make sense?

curious how you website would calculate distance if all these segments were just dumped into a single file. feel free to call me if you care to discuss 636-288-5721

Hey Del,

Are you responding to my email about the trails that you uploaded? If so, would you mind responding either through email or through the "Edit Trail" function? That way, links to the trail in question will be automatically included. I will copy your correspondence here to that trail note, and will also respond to your questions there.

Let me know if that makes sense, or if there's anything else I can help with!

Best regards,
Mikhaila 

this trail is done.  please make whatever further changes you may deem necessary.  please let me know what else you need.  please finalize / complete.

Hello Del,

Thanks for reaching out! It looks like there are a few members of the team working to get your hike finished up, but we're getting close!

Thank you for your patience,

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "how to use software"
in the Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions