Hiking Project Logo

Training up apps

Original Post
Melissa Hilbish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 30 days ago · Points: 0

A friend and I are training up for a big hiking trip this summer.  13-16 miles a day in hilly conditions. Cornwall area in England. We would like to train together if possible through an app which we could both log into to post training.  She lives on the west coast and I live on the east coast so we are looking for a good app where we can challenge each other.

Suggestions? I've looked at MapMyFitness but my friend is not the most computer savvy so I'd like something simpler if possible.

Thanks for the help

Ed Glass · · SOUTHERN Illinois · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 528

My wife and I used Garmin Connect before. It does great maps and stats. But now we use Samsung S-Health because its super easy since we both have Galaxy S8's and Gear Fit2's.

Melissa Hilbish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 30 days ago · Points: 0

Thanks Ed. I’ll take a look.

Norman Reedus · · oakland gardens · Joined 29 days ago · Points: 0

Garmin connect can be handy.

Brice C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

If I might suggest something a bit different - find someone in your local to train with? I mean, assuming that you're looking for some sort of accountability and motivation, I've found being physically present with other people to be far more effective than anything digital.

For tracking progress - simple, in my experience, is better. You can just make a spreadsheet with things like distance, elevation, time spent, and maybe a notes column. The intricacies of each individual training session, like the exact elevation profile of a route, will wash out in the long run. Honestly, I question the usefulness of even such rudimentary tracking for most amateur athletes - I know I don't need to have such scientific record keeping to improve. All I need to remember is what I've been doing recently, and then challenge myself accordingly, while listening to my body to stave off injury. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Training up apps"
in the Training & Fitness