Hiking Project Logo

Mt Hood Summit Climb?

Original Post
Missouri Hiker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 4,323

I'm headed on a trip to climb my first mountain and opted to go with a guide to Mt. Hood this June.  They sent me the required gear list and the cost of the gear is more than the guide!  I live in a flat state and might use this stuff a handful of times in the future.

Since I'm on a budget, I'd like to know what are the best generic brands for climbing?

• Long Underwear – Medium weight tops and bottoms
  • Lightweight Fleece Shirt – For example, the Patagonia R1 Hoody
  • Softshell Jacket – Ex: Mammut Ultimate Alpine Hoody
  • Softshell Pants – Courmayeur Advanced Pants
  • Shell Pants – Waterproof, breathable pants with a full-length side-zipper for putting on over boots when the weather gets severe. Gore-Tex is one such material used by many manufacturers.
  • Shell jacket – Requires a helmet-compatible hood.
  • Insulated jacket – Required, with a helmet-compatible hood and either down or Primaloft insulation. For example, Mammut’s Rime Pro Jacket. (Micro-puff jackets are too light for expected conditions.)
  • Lightweight Gloves – Windproof gloves, for warmer conditions. For example, the Black Diamond Arc
  • Mediumweight Gloves – Lightly insulated. For example, Black Diamond’s Kingpin glove.
  • Heavyweight Waterproof Gloves – For example, Black Diamond Guide Glove
  • Buff, or Balaclava – Protection from wind, cold and sun.
  • Gaiters – For soft, slushy snow conditions. OR brand work best over plastic mountaineering boots.
Bruce Hope · · State of Jefferson, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 8,226

I see what you mean - some of the suggested brands are great but also among the most expensive. But you don't really need the most expensive, super alpine climber type clothing for a one-day ascent of Hood via the Southside route in the Spring.   And the clothing doesn't necessarily need to be brand new.  REI gear (and, no, I'm not getting a commission here :)) would work just fine. If you live near an REI, check out their clearance racks or garage sales or look online for bargains.  Some of the major brands on your list also have online sales of discounted items - usually last year's or some awful color. If you have time in Portland, stop by Next Adventure (426 SE Grand Ave, Portland, OR 97214), a store that specializes in "new & used gear & apparel for year-round outdoor activities" to see if they have anything on your list. They have some knock-off brands that would work OK but often have discounts on last season's or year's remainders of major brands.  Good luck on your climb - the view from the top on a clear day is utterly amazing!!

Dennis MacKay · · Fruita, CO · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Also you can search brand name gear "factory seconds" for a radical reduction in cost. Same products/performance just may have a slightly crooked seam sewn into it somewhere or something of that nature. Most you can't even find the defect that downgraded it. I buy them all the time and get the same performance and lifespan I'd expect from the full priced items. They are brand new items and usually have the same warranty as well.

Missouri Hiker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 4,323
Dennis MacKay wrote:

Also you can search brand name gear "factory seconds" for a radical reduction in cost. Same products/performance just may have a slightly crooked seam sewn into it somewhere or something of that nature. Most you can't even find the defect that downgraded it. I buy them all the time and get the same performance and lifespan I'd expect from the full priced items. They are brand new items and usually have the same warranty as well.

Dennis, 

Any particular site you would recommend looking at?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Mt Hood Summit Climb?"
in the Gear Discussion