Hiking Project Logo

API - Is there a way to pull the actual track for a trail or featured hike?

Original Post
Ryan Rhodes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Hi,

I am building an application and was wondering if the data from the API contains the actual track to overlay on a map? 

Thanks!

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,025

Hey Ryan, 

Thanks for reaching out! Currently, the API does not pull the .gpx data from the site. It is possible to manually download GPS tracks for personal use, and this can be done from the trail page. Were you hoping to use the files for your personal use in the field, or were you hoping to create something new using our data? Let me know, and we can work on solutions from there! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Ryan Rhodes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Hey Mikhaila, 

Thanks for the response. Right now I am making an application for a boot camp project. I can do without the track data, but wanted to ask just in case I was missing something on the API page.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,025

Hey Ryan, 

Gotcha, thank you for letting me know. While you can download the GPS information for each individual trail, I'm not sure that that function would work for accruing a large volume of GPS data at once. If there's anything else that I can help with, please let me know! 

Best of luck in Boot Camp - it sounds like you're working on a great project! 

Mikhaila 

nick drane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Hi Mikhaila,

I thought I might piggyback off this forum topic here... I'm currently planning to hike the John Muir Trail this summer. Figuring out where to stay each night is remarkably difficult, and I've looked quite a bit for an application that would help with the process. I can't find anything! So I figured I would make something myself, something that will empower people to plan multi-day hiking trips. The only thing is, I haven't found a good place to download the trail data. If this is something you all can help me with, I'd be really grateful :)

-Nick

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 11,844

Hey Nick,

You can download the GPX data from the JMT page on Hiking Project: https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7016162/john-muir-trail-jmt You can find it just to the right of the "Overview" heading.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

nick drane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Hey Tom,

I was hoping to make a more comprehensive application that can work across any trail (or even multiple ones). Is there any easy way to access to GPX data through an API or a way to download it in bulk?

-Nick

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 11,844

Hey Nick,

Other than scraping the data (which we'd rather you didn't do), there is not a way to wholesale download the site's gps data.

-Tom

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "API - Is there a way to pull the actual track f…"
in the Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions