Hiking Project Logo

Better filtering

Original Post
Bryon Bowman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

The ability to filter by length of hike, difficulty level, trail condition, and altitude. 

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,094

While altitude and trail condition aren't currently listed in that filter function, level of difficulty, distance, and star rating should all help to narrow down your choices. We're hoping to improve the filter feature in the future, but let me know if there's anything else that I can pass along to our development team! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Mike B · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 82

Hi Mikhaila and team, 

I've just signed up, and was browsing for some hikes in my area. I see some room for improvement in the filtering, especially by distance. Let's suppose I decide that I have time, and am in physical condition for, a 5 mile dayhike. I set the filter to a range of 4-6 miles. Some nice 5 mile loops show up, but some 2.5 mile out-and-back hikes are excluded. Also, maybe there's a pair of 2.5 mile loops that connect to each other, doing both would get me to 5 miles as well. There also might be an 8 mile loop that has a shortcut in the middle that drops the distance to 5 miles. So when I'm filtering for 5 miles, I'm really interested in any combination of connected trails that meet my distance goal, not for any individual segment of trail that is within the filter criteria. See the difference? I know it's much harder to implement, but it would be so much more useful if you could get it working that way.

Hey Mike,

I can absolutely see what you mean! There are many more options that can be combined that aren't displayed on our site explicitly. However, we think that's all part of the fun. Half of going out on a trip is perfecting the route, and we try to ensure that full trails are mapped out so that anyone searching the web could decide on a ready made Featured Hike, or could make their own adventure. Because our line data doesn't keep track of all of the possible connections and routes, I'm not sure that it would be possible to implement the search feature that you're looking for. However, never say never! I will send your recommendation along to our development team to see if it's something that we can put on our long term roadmap! 

Thanks for reaching out, and for a great suggestion! 

Mikhaila 

Alyssa W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Any idea if you will add dog friendly to the filter options? I always try to take my pups with me when I hike so that feature would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Alyssa

Let me know if that helps, or if there's anything else that I can do for you. 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Alyssa W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Hi Mikhaila,

Thanks for responding to my question. I feel it would be very helpful in future iterations of the filter functions to include an option to filter dogs or no dogs. I use another trail finding software and that is one of my favorite features. I hate finding a hike that looks great only to realize I can't bring my dog with me. Does that help clarify?

Thanks,

Alyssa

Hey Alyssa, 

Thanks for getting back to me! I can certainly understand your frustrations there, and getting a dog specific filter added is one of our most requested features. I will pass your feedback along to our development team, and hopefully they'll revisit the filter function soon. 

We appreciate your patience in the meanwhile! 

Best, 

Mikhaila 

Trill Fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Hi, have been enjoying the app thus far, thanks so much for the efforts! Concerning filters I would appreciate the following:
Backpackable
All season
Dog friendly
Snowshoe during winter months
Thanks again for your time!

Hey Trill,

Thanks for some great info! While we don't have the perfect filter created just yet, we have been collecting data on dogs, backpack routes, and winter snowshoe trails. Once we do get a stronger filter built, it should be easy to apply those parameters that you mention because we've already collected the data! Hopefully that feature will be available soon.

Best regards,
Mikhaila 

Michael Pickford · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

I would certainly use this website and app much more often if there was a way to search for snowshoeing trails during the winter months. Any update on additional filters?

Christina Fay · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Agreed a quick easy way to assess if a hike is dog friendly is a must, otherwise the app is pretty much useless to me. 

Anna Zowada · · Sheridan, WY · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 486

Is there any discussion about adding a filter of what a hike features? Also for the app. Like lakes, waterfalls, etc? I know it shows you once you click the trail for more info, but it would be nice to have a drop down filter where you can choose what you want to do/see on the hike especially when no photos show up next to the list of trails. Thanks :)

Mehbub Alam · · Kalmar, SE · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Trek The Petra requires no introduction. This legendary city was one time capital of the Nabataean empire where you should visit. Long last of local Bedouin people is an archaeological destination that tracks the curious around the world. Most people take bus ticket there, but hiking towards the ancient city is a more memorable approach. Hiking over Dana to Petra can take 5 to 6 days depending on your fitness level and guide. The temperature is more than 30 degree Celsius. So, fill your bag with water, some food, and sunscreen cream. In winter there will be cold under the shade and chilly under the sun.
i can recommend you to visit here. but yes you can get more ideas to visit more places, about new experience here https://hikingwarriors.com/blog-best-hiking-destination-in-the-world/, but remember i never told you to follow this. but you can have a quick idea by this site

Alex Kruger · · AURORA · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

This thread is several years old, I'm not really seeing the filter improvements mentioned. I'd like to see filter by type (point-to-point, loop, out and back), features (dog friendly, river, lake, waterfall, tree cover, no shade, cave etc) the app could have pre-built tags, and users could tag trails as they check in to crowd source creating less work for REI to generate data and (hopefully) more accurate trail features.

Then when searching for a trail users could search for all of it. I could look for a 5-10 mile trail, dog friendly, creek, loop, within 40 miles of my location.

P.S. Take a look at All Trails for inspiration. I use the app now, but don't really like the UI. I'd rather use Hiking Project, but is lacking features.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Better filtering"