Hiking Project Logo

How to download a State on the computer?

Original Post
Craig Travis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 29 days ago · Points: 0

I've been trying to acquire all of the GPX data for Utah.

I wrote a simple scrape tool using your api to acquire all of Utah trails and their data / ratings. But I really want all the trails on my laptop when I go on adventures.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,147

Hey Craig, 

Thanks for reaching out. I was wondering if you might be able to elaborate a bit more about the functionality you'd like to have on your laptop. Our mobile app functions in much the same way as the site, and you'd be able to download that states that you'd like so that you could access them without service. I think with a little more clarity, I'll be able to better address your question. 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Craig Travis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 29 days ago · Points: 0

Hey Mikhaila! Sorry to not be more clear! When you go to a site online, when selecting a trail, there is GPX data you can download. I would love access to GPX data for all of Utah, but full control of the data on my laptop to make my own applications. There is no way to use the api to access this data, and using a command like "curl https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/gpx/7030662" does not download the gpx data, but rather tries redirecting you for security reasons.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,147

Hey Craig,

Thank you for clarifying! Our data is our most valuable asset, and without it our sites would be useless. At the moment, we allow for scraping, but don't have the bandwidth to facilitate any larger scale GPX downloads. 

Thanks for understanding, and let me know if there's anything else that I can answer! 

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply