Hiking Project Logo

Help Posting Urban Hikes

Original Post
Missouri Hiker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 875

Hi,

I'm trying to post some urban hikes I've done in Springfield, MO which are part of the Ozarks Greenway project.  I've hiked most of these trails, but usually not with a GPS.  I have a system map of all the trails, but i don't have a good way of uploading them to the site:  http://ozarkgreenways.org/explore/greenway-trails/wilsons-creek-greenway/

Recommendations?

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,170

Hello Koo Koo, 

Great question! If you don't have GPS tracks, there are a variety of options. Our site will let you "draw" the route right onto the map, and the trails may even be mapped on one of our base maps, which would make it easy to get the trail traced in. 

Another option would be to map the route via another mapping resource, such as Strava. They will allow you to similarly draw in a route, and once the route is saved, you can export it as a .gpx file, and can upload it from there. 

Let me know if that helps, and we can go from there! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Missouri Hiker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 875

Mikhaila,

I'm trying to export these trails from Google Maps:  http://ozarkgreenways.org/explore/greenway-trails/wilsons-creek-greenway/

Any suggestions on how to do this?  I'd rather not try to draw the entire trail system.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,170

Hello Koo Koo, 

I can see what you mean, and I know that it is inconvenient to re-draw a new map when a beautiful one already exists for the Ozark Greenways. Unfortunately, unless Ozark Greenways Inc. gives us access to their google site, there's not much that we can do to grab those GPS tracks. If you can reach out and gain access, you would likely be able to download the tracks as a .kml, .kmz, or .gpx file, and from there you'd be able to upload them to our site. Let me know if that helps at all, or if there's anything else that I can do. 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply