Hiking Project Logo

Trail stewards only view of trails

Original Post
Torsten Heycke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 650

I'm wondering if there could be a parallel hikingproject (mtbproject) for trail stewards where we could document issues (fallen trees, blow-outs, drainage, etc) for future trail maintenance and somehow record action items--future and accomplished. This is both for good trail stewardship but also for legal protection (due diligence, etc). GPS-tagged photos could appear with date on the appropriate place on the map (or manually placed there). As the issue is taken care of, the pic could be removed and that item could then appear at the top of an "accomplished list" with date, person, etc.

In GIS terms, this could be a layer that could be toggled on for trail stewards.

For many of us, recreational immunity only goes so far for liability protection. To really cover ourselves, we need to keep a record of conditions, prioritize action items, and demonstrate some record of mitigation. An online facility such as hikingproject would help facilitate a big part of this.

Thanks for your consideration,

Torsten

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,167

Hey Torsten, 

Thank you so much for a great question! I can certainly appreciate the utility of having these features, especially for land managers. At the moment, we don't currently have any tools created that will allow either land managers or users to note these types of features to create a to-do list. However, if placing a symbol noting downed trees, or failed bridges seems agreeable, and admin can always remove the symbol once repairs have occurred. 

In the future, we're hoping to have GPS tagged conditions reporting, which will allow all of our users to make an exact note of any trail problems. Let me know if this might be enough functionality, and we can go from there. 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Torsten Heycke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 650

Hi Mikhaila,

I think GPS tagged conditions reporting will be great. And, placing a symbol would be OK too.  see a few minor problems: 1. Waiting for an admin to remove a symbol once the issue is resolved. 2) general tagging; i.e., "the outslope is too great along most of the trail" would be hard to symbolize or GPS, for that matter. 3. General user tagging could become nightmarishly squablly. One person's "too rocky" is another's "great, fun challenge". This is a problem on some Bend, Or trails where some folks would like to smooth out trail while others see that as "dumbing down"...I can see that debate carrying over to the online sphere (sort of like Wikipedia battles).

Still, any step in documenting trail conditions would be welcome.

Torsten

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,167

Hey Torsten, 

Thanks for the feedback! I can certainly understand your hesitations with allowing the public to note their opinions, and with having to wait on an admin to edit symbols. I think that editable symbols are likewise on our road map, which might help. I will pass along your request to our development team to see if there might be something that we can do!

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply