Sharing GPX trails without having to supply (lots) of description

Original Post
NH48 Hiker · · New Hampshire · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 29

I love to hike in the NH, VT, ME areas and elsewhere.

Before doing a new hike, I always do my homework and pick the trails I want to do, know where to drive to, and know what to expect terrain wise. I usually get all this info from various web sites, trip reports, State Park info, etc.  There is usually a lot of info out there.  What isn't out there so much is a GPX track of the trails I plan to do.  I always feel much more comfortable having a track on my GPS because its usually more accurate than the maps I have (purchased or online).

I have many, many, many tracks I'd like to share but I find the process of having to supply an acceptable description very tedious.  If I copy info from the web, the Admin says (for copyright purposes) I have to reword it; if I give a brief description the Admin asks for more info. I just want to help others and share the GPX and give a brief description in my own words.  If I can't do this then I'll just download GPX tracks where available vs. uploading tracks to help others.

Just my 2 cents....

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,160

Hey NH48! 

You bring up some excellent questions and a good point about our site. We're not just a trip reporting site like some, or just a place for line data. However, we recognize that this places quite a bit of the burden on our contributors. If you have clean (no loop the loops/doubling back) GPS tracks that you would like to share with the larger community, I think that we can come to a compromise on the descriptive data. How would you feel about uploading the tracks and then having an admin put them up for adoption? This will still get the line data displayed on the site, but will give another contributor the opportunity to describe the route, and you won't have admin pestering you about finishing the routes. 

Let me know if something like that might work, and we can go from there! 

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply