Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Hiking Project Logo

New Symbol?

Original Post
Russell Hobart · · Chapel Hill, NC · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5,279

Would anyone else be interested in a symbol for 'Ruins'? To me the skeletons of old buildings or structures is always a point of interest. It gives one a sense of a continuity with our history. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Lou Poulas · · Lake Hopatcong · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 1,969

I think that is a great idea.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6,035

Interesting! I'm not sure that's one that our team would have come up with organically, but I'll let our design team know that it's an in demand feature! If there are any other symbols that you'd like to see, just let me know! 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Hi Mikhaila,

I'm glad you're interested. Seeing as you asked, I gave it some thought and I have a couple of more ideas.

Historic - Where a battle took place, Oregon trail crossing, tradition native american fish dam site, site where John Muir ascended Cathedral Peak, buffalo jumps, Donner Party, Lewis and Clark camp, etc.

Literary- Site where Hemingway saw the 'hills that look like white elephants', Brokeback mountain, Cold Mountain, Of Mice and Men (location where they cross into California), etc.

Cave -Self Explanatory. 

Canoe/Kayak Access - I know I've added short access trails to indicate this but it would be nice to have an official symbol.

It would also be great to have the symbols be searchable or filterable. On a hot day or weekend, it would be great to look at a map and filter 'Swimming" on the location map. Well, I do go on. Thanks for listening.

Hey Russell, 

Thanks for sending along some additional great feedback! I know that we have gem designations for some of those features, but I think they would also be useful as symbols as well. I'll get this feedback passed along to our design team, and hopefully we can get some new symbols added soon. 

Best, 

Mikhaila 

Hey Mikhaila,

I just thought of another potentially helpful icon - River ford

Hi Russell, 

That is another good one! I'll send it along to our product team. 

Best regards, 

Mikhaila 

Ozark Trail Association · · Potosi, MO · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 343

I'm working on adding all the sections of the Ozark Trail and there are a couple symbols that I think would be helpful. I like the suggestion of a historical marker symbol, we also have mile marker info on the trail and would be nice to have a mile symbol to add.  Possibly add the ability to create a custom symbol for one off items. 

Hello! 

Thank you for reaching out with a great question. I will make a note about the historical marker symbol, and send it along to our development team. I think that for mile markers, we removed them from the trail lines as they tended to clutter things, especially when looking at long trails. Instead, if you move to the elevation profile, you should be able to drag your mouse along that profile, and the mileage, elevation, and grade will appear. Additionally, a hiker will appear on the map, following your progress as you scrub along the elevation profile, showing the location where steep climbs, dips, or stream crossings exist. Let me know if that satisfies what you're looking for in a mile-marker, or if there are other capabilities that you'd want to see. As for the custom symbols, I would be interested to hear more about what you have in mind. While we try to keep consistent style across all of our properties, I think that if I knew more about what you were looking for, I could better evaluate if that matches with what we would like. Let me know! 

Thanks again for reaching out with some great feedback! 

Mikhaila 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "New Symbol?"
in the Hiking Project Feedback & Suggestions