Hiking Workflows

Original Post
Michael Wisniewski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 15 days ago · Points: 0

Just stumbled upon this app and I love the idea of it, but just a little confused about how it all works and what the workflow is.  If somebody can let me know if I'm doing this right, that would be great...

- Start app up and find trails.

- Add a trail to a 'todo' list.

At the trail head....this is where I get confused.  Do you have to start a 3rd party app, such as Strava, Mytracks, or something else to record your information about miles walked, elevation, and path?  Do you just 'check into' the trail?  But then how do you add how many miles were walked?  

I suppose my biggest thing is if you need to use a different app to record your route and then import that into the Hiking Project.  It would be nice if it was all built in but not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

Michael Wisniewski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 15 days ago · Points: 0

OK...I should had read the FAQ's...  lol...

https://www.hikingproject.com/faq

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,149

Hey Michael, 

No worries! Were you able to answer most of your questions? I think that there is a nuanced difference between a fitness tracking app, and a navigation app. We try to fall into the navigation bucket, which means that we currently don't track things like heart rate, and instead focus on providing detailed descriptions and maps of trails to help you decide where you'd like to go. 

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if there's anything else that I can do for you! 

Mikhaila 

Bill Allen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 8 days ago · Points: 0

I'm totally confused. I've got a trail on my phone. When I follow the instructions on the FAQ I get to the point, "Upload a GPX, KMZ or KML File", When I hit "Choose File" it gives me a choice of 1) Take Photo or Video, 2) Photo Library 3) iCloud Drive. The trail I created in the app isn't there anywhere. 

How do I get my trail from the Hiking Project app into a file that I can upload?

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 14,962

Hey Bill,

For now, hikes recorded from the app must be uploaded via the website. Please see a separate thread where I list the steps for uploading.

-Tom

Bill Allen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 8 days ago · Points: 0

Thanks Tom. I'm not sure how I missed that, but it worked like a charm.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply