Hiking Project Logo

Packaging for Homemade Dehydrated Meals

Original Post
SeanMc123 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

I was wondering what method everyone uses to package their home dehydrated meals? I have recently ordered a dehydrator and vacuum sealer to prepare for a trip to through hike the Ozark Highlands Trail and Buffalo National River Trail this winter and have found many different methods for using a vacuum sealer online. Most suggest some kind of barrier between the potentially sharp dried food and vacuum bag like a ziplock bag left open at one corner, paper bag, or parchment paper. I had the thought to use paper towels because this would be convenient to have around for the meal and clean up but have seen it suggested on other forums that adsorbent material is not good perhaps because it may absorb moisture in the event of a vacuum bag breach. I am interested you hear your experiences with dehydrated food storage and if you think the paper towel idea would work or if there might be some potential issue to consider. Thank you

JC N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I know I am pretty late to replying to this thread but it seems like there's not a lot of activity on these forums (hopefully that changes), but to answer you question I use a VacMaster Pro90 to package my dehydrated meals and it works wonderfully.  The bags I use have a mesh liner in them already so I haven't had to worry about the sharp dried food piercing anything or even the vac bags.  Curious to see other's experiences and input as well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply