Trails in Nature Centers and other wild areas not included

Original Post
Bill Drew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 14 days ago · Points: 0

I like the app but am very, no extremely, disappointed in the lack of trails that I know exist in the areas around Tompkins County and other parts of New York State.  Why not include trails at nature centers, art parks, conservation areas, wildlife refuges and such?  I would bet that would easily double the number of routes available to people.

Mikhaila Redovian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 8,153

Hey Bill, 

Thanks for reaching out! Hiking Project is a fully crowd-sourced resource, which means that we depend on hikers to add their favorite trails and hikes to our database. We welcome trail information about the trails in nature centers, conservation areas, wildlife refuges, and any other publicly accessible land, and I think that if we don't have that information on our site, it's because an enthusiastic hiker like yourself hasn't added them yet. If you have any GPS tracks of the trails that you'd like to see on the site, head to our Mapping Page for some information on how to get started! 

If you have any questions along the way, or need any assistance, please let me know! 

Mikhaila 

Bill Drew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 14 days ago · Points: 0

I am impressed.  Can I use an app such as MapMyWalk and give you that GPS information?  Not sure what that might entail.

Eric LaRoche · · Keene, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 371

You should be able to export the GPX file from MapMyWalk and then you upload it here to create the trail.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply