Hiking Project Logo

Tips for Camelbaks?

Original Post
Leah Rawdon · · Muskegon, MI · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 80

Considering how many people use Camelbaks/water bladders, I can't be the only one with this problem - the dreaded plastic water aftertaste. 

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for cutting down on the gross plastic taste of a new bladder? I have two Camelbaks and the aftertaste in the older of the two has slowly started to lessen but still lingers. My newer bladder seems to be holding on to the taste no matter if I clean it or try to fill it up just before going out. I soaked both of them in the sink with water and apple cider vinegar thinking that might do something, but I haven't tested it yet. I live in the South right now and trying to stay hydrated on summer hikes by drinking lukewarm plastic soup just isn't cutting it! 

If anyone has had any success with this I would appreciate the feedback! Thanks and happy adventures! 

Lou Poulas · · Lake Hopatcong · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 1,520

Yeah, same problem here.  Though, after a few uses and washes, I don't mind it much now even if I can still taste it a bit.

Eric LaRoche · · Keene, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 371

I've given up on them.  I hate the taste so much. I've tried 3 brands and they all taste like plastic. I just use platy bottles for storage and a small 12oz Klean Kanteen with sport bottle cap clipped to my belt.

I used it again yesterday after soaking it with vinegar, it did seem to help a little. I love my Klean Kanteen, I wish it was feasible to carry about five of them during these Georgia hikes! Thanks! 

Eric LaRoche · · Keene, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 371

Yeah that's why I use Platy bottles for carrying and then just fill up my Klean Kanteen from them, the bottles don't have a plastic flavor. 

Jeffrey Howard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Well, you can try the next: to get rid of the taste, filling your bottle with warm water and baking soda (half of each), and letting the contents sit for approximately 40 minutes to one hour. Once you rinse it out, your bottle should be taste-free and good to go. 

Thanks, Jeffrey! Baking soda was going to be my next experiment with it so I'll definitely give that a try. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply